Chapter Eighteen

"Mum?" asks Elliot.  His voice suddenly grows louder, "What're you doing here?"

            I shrink back a step, hoping to hide myself from Ms. Parker.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work.

            "Finn, leave.  I need a moment with my son."  Ms. Parker doesn't look at me as she speaks.  Instead, she keeps her narrowed gaze on Elliot; and if looks could kill, he'd be in serious trouble right about now.

            I eagerly take a step backward, but Elliot turns to catch my wrist.

            "No."  He pulls me against his side with a little more force than necessary.  Then he lightens his death grip over my arm, and instead rests his fingers on my waist.  "Mum, you're the one who needs to go."

            "Is everything alright?" asks Aunt Steph.  I almost forgot her presence in the middle of the Parker stare down. 

            I glance back to look at her, only to notice that her face is burning almost as brightly as her hair.

            "Why is she here?" demands Elliot, turning to face his aunt.  He jabs an accusing finger toward Ms. Parker.  "Why would you tell her?"

            "Oh relax, Elliot."  Ms. Parker rolls her fingers across the dark wood.  "Your aunt was simply ecstatic to call and inform me of your little 'date'.  I asked her if I could surprise you two and foot the bill.  Really, you should be thanking her."

            "I don't understand...."  Aunt Steph glances from Elliot to his mother, her eyes thankfully avoiding mine.  Somehow, I feel like this is something that would happen to me.  She tried to help everyone out, but instead ruined everything.

            "It's alright.  Never mind."  Elliot sucks a breath through his teeth.  "Thank you for the nice room."

            Aunt Steph nods, her face still red.  Then, she slowly retreats from the room and disappears into the hall.

            "Say whatever you want," says Elliot, yanking one of the chairs from the table and dropping into it.  "Finn's staying though."

            I stand frozen for a moment, unsure what to do with myself.  Both Parkers stare at me with expectant gazes.  To be honest, I would much rather leave the room like Ms. Parker wants.  I can already tell things are going to get ugly, and I don't want to be caught in the middle of it.  But Elliot's blue eyes are practically imploring me to stay.  I can't make it look as though I'm taking his mother's side.

            I hesitantly nod and force myself to take the seat beside Elliot.

            "Fine."  Ms. Parker thrums her fingers again.  "I want to know exactly what's going on between you two."

            "Why?" asks Elliot, almost before Ms. Parker has finished speaking.

            She purses her lips.  "Because I'm your mother, and it's my right to know."

            "And you couldn't have asked when I got home?" 

            "Just answer the question, Elliot," snaps Ms. Parker.

            I keep my eyes fastened on my hands, hoping that maybe they'll forget I'm here altogether.

            "She's my girlfriend, Mum."

            His words make me blush, especially in the blunt manner he speaks.  As though it's so obvious that he and I are boyfriend and girlfriend.  I have to resist the urge to peak at him, even though I am dying to on the inside.  I want to look at his face, to know if he really means what he says.  Maybe he's only saying it to piss his mom off—which, by the sound of her silence, seems to be working.  .