| Chapter 1 |

"Be good boys, and watch out for your sister."

"Yes mum." They reply in a bored tone, tired of her fussing over them like they're toddlers. "We'll look after her."

Fabian nudges Gideon, nodding in my direction as a subtle smirk creeps up onto his lips. I can practically read their minds at this point in time - their wicked intentions shine as clear as day upon their faces - and unfortunately our mother seems to be just as enlightened as she jokingly reaches out and lightly smacks the sides of their heads.

"Don't drag her into any of your little schemes." She says, ignoring their overly dramatic whines of pain as they clutch their heads and wipe away imaginary tears. "It's hard enough trying to deal with the two of you, I couldn't cope with a third added to the mix. You'll corrupt her."

"How can you think that of us!" Fabian exclaims, placing a hand over his heart and pouting as if she'd wounded his soul. "We would never-"

"- Ever let her get caught." Gideon finishes and sends me yet another devilish smirk that causes a giggle to rise in my throat.

Mum opens her mouth, her forehead creasing in a frown - a sign that they're a few seconds away from a serious scolding - however they manage to escape into the safety of the train before she can even begin to berate them, shouting out goodbyes as they go.

"Don't listen to them." She turns to me with a sigh and a deep scowl that softens once she sees my nervous expression. "Be the good girl I know you really are."

She kisses me on my forehead and I give a quick wave goodbye before heading towards the familiar train. I manage to push myself down the narrow corridors, past hoards of terrified newcomers and the cocky older years until I find an empty carriage and settle down in one of the worn down seats, taking out my book and ignoring the hustle and bustle outside. I push my glasses up onto the bridge of my nose and flick through the thin, aged pages to where I was last. I quickly find myself immersed in the story, reluctant to break my eyes away from the page and the story that unfurls upon it. However my concentration is broken when the door slides opens and the familiar sound of laughter and talking echoes through the compartment.

"Hey Imogen." Lily says kindly, offering me a small wave as she tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Do you mind if we sit here?"

I smile at her and shake my head, taking a mental note of the page that I managed to reach before I turn to the doors and the people who slowly start to gather within it. Mary and Alice, the other girls in our dorm, trail behind Lily, animatedly discussing something between them that causes the ginger haired girl to laugh.

"So Immy, how was your holiday?" Alice asks me, turning away from a fuming Mary, clearly upset about her loss of their argument.

I take out my notepad and scribble a reply. It's easier than using sign language because Alice would have to translate to the others the whole time. I do not know how she came to learn sign language, where she has the need for it outside of our conversations, however she is a girl of many strange and wonderful talents, and I've learnt that it is best to simply roll with whatever she comes out with.

It was good thank you, how was yours?

"It was great, Frank and I met up a few times." Her voice trails off quietly and a light blush coats her cheeks at the admission.

I wiggle my eyebrows at her and grin, making everyone fall about in fits of laughter. After a few minutes spent catching up on each other's lives I turn back to my book and continue reading whilst they chat aimlessly about what the new school year will bring. We're interrupted by the door opening with a squeaky rattle and the sound of our intruders laughing as they look at our startled faces.