#43. Rumor Has It » Chris

You knew once you two started dating that things would be a bit hard. Chris was a big actor and you were just a regular person. You knew what you were in for when you two started dating. The media loved making rumors just to make their money. You never really paid any attention to rumors. Until one day.

You rarely read tabloids. They were full of lies. You laughed more than anything at some of the stupid headings. But this one day, there was something that really grabbed your attention.

You were shopping with one of your friends. You two were just going through the checkout when your friend picked up a tabloid magazine. You rolled your eyes.

"Really? You know those things are all full of lies, right?" you ask as you put the groceries up onto the counter. "Come help me check out, would you?"

"Uh, (Y/N)," your friend said. "You may wanna see this."

You took the magazine from your friend and looked at it. On the cover was a big picture of Chris...with another woman. The heading, "CHRIS EVANS & MINKA KELLY: BACK TOGETHER?!" This would've bugged you if it wasn't Chris' ex, Minka Kelly. They had had an on again-off again relationship before you and Chris met. Chris told you all about it, told you the last breakup was a permanent one.

You roll your eyes again. "It's an old picture that the media is re-using so that they can have some publicity. You know the only reason they have this is because Civil War is coming out and they're hoping more people will buy the magazine because it's Chris. It's not like they can make up rumors about Robert when his relationship with Susan is so stable and public to begin with - "

"(Y/N)," your friend cut you off. She was now on her phone. She looked as white as a sheet and you almost didn't want to know what she saw.

She extended her phone to you and you took it. On the screen was the same picture of Chris and Minka. Chris had his arm around Minka's head, pulling her to his chest so you almost couldn't see her face. He was looking towards the paparazzi, but whether or not he actually seen the person was still a mystery.

The heading was the same as the tabloid magazine. "CHRIS & MINKA BACK TOGETHER AGAIN!"

You decided to actually read the article this time.

"Chris Evans, best known for playing Captain America in the widely popular Marvel Cinematic Universe, was recently pictured out with former flame, Minka Kelly. The two have had a steady on again-off again relationship for years, but things seemed pretty permanent when the two ended it in 2013. But, it looks like things are starting to heat up again. Evans, 34, was pictured with Kelly, 35, out for what looked like a romantic stroll, Evans with his arm around Kelly. Rumor has it, the two could go all the way with their relationship this time. There's no denying the two belong with one another. They're unable to stay away! The only question here is, will Kelly be Evans' arm candy on the red carpet for Captain America: Civil War in May?"

You were fighting back tears. There was a line of impatient customers behind you and your friend at the checkout, but you didn't care. You took a screen shot of the picture and sent it to yourself before passing your phone back to your friend.

"Here," you said, giving your friend some money. "That's for my share of the groceries. I-I have to - "

Your friend put a hand on your shoulder. "I know. If those rumors end up being true, tell him he better watch his back."

You couldn't help but smile before turning and running out of the store. You ran straight to your car. Tears were beginning to blur your vision and you were struggling to put the key in the ignition. Finally, you started your car and started driving to Chris' place.

You were so upset. Was that picture really recent? Had Chris been out with Minka? Now, you weren't normally jealous. It would drive you insane if you got jealous every time Chris was with a pretty girl, as he was an actor after all. But this was different. Chris had told you he hadn't talked to Minka in years. All you could think of was what if Chris lied? What if he had been seeing Minka behind your back? They had more history than either of you had.

When you arrived at Chris' you seen his car in the driveway. Only his car. You were glad there wasn't another car here or else you might've gotten really upset.

You jumped out of your car and raced to the front door. You didn't knock, you just entered, as you usually did. Chris was quick to meet you at the door with a smile on his face, which soon disappeared when he seen how upset you were.

"Babe, what's wrong?" he asked. He stepped to approach you, but you stepped back. "Babe?"

You were shaking as you pulled your phone from your pocket and opened the picture to show Chris. You thrusted your phone towards him, nearly throwing it at him, as you demanded, "What's this?"

Chris took your phone to look at the picture. His eyes widened as he looked up at you.

"Babe - "

"Stop!" you snap. "Don't 'babe' me. Just tell me if the picture is what I think it is!"

"It's not!" Chris replied. "I was out with her and I saw the paparazzi trying to get pictures of us so I tried to hide her from the pictures so they didn't get the wrong idea. I guess it just made it all worst and gave the paps the wrong idea."

"You told me you don't even see her anymore!"

Chris froze. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights; like someone caught in a lie. Tears were starting to run down your face again as you snatched the phone from him.

"That's what I thought," you said.

You turned to leave, but Chris grabbed your arm.

"(Y/N), wait," he tried to reason. You yanked your arm away from him.

"There's no waiting, Chris!" you snap. "I would be okay with this whole 'misunderstanding' if I knew you still hung out and talked to Minka. But you told me you two were completely over! You told me you never even talked to her! You said you hadn't seen each other since the break up! How can I believe that now when I see this? How can I believe that there's nothing going on between you two when I didn't even know you two were even in contact! You lied to me, Chris. I thought we were going to have an open, honest relationship. I guess I was wrong." You turned again, but then stopped. "You know, maybe what all these tabloids and websites are saying is right. You and Minka belong together. You two can't even stay away from each other."

And with that, you left.