xiii; pastel freak

xiii; pastel freak

It was the first snowfall of the year around London, England, and children were laughing. Adults were standing by them, smiling or rolling their eyes, pretending they weren't as excited to see the weather than the generations after. Dan was neither of those, instead clumping the snow into his hand and tossing it to Lance, who spluttered and reached up to wipe the side of his face. "Hey, man, not okay!" Lance exclaimed, and tugged his jacket further around himself, rolling his eyes.

"It's snow," Dan drawled, and rolled his eyes, arms crossing over his chest, "How is that not okay? You're gonna get soaked later when you decide to fall."

Lance gasped dramatically. "I'm not going to fall, Daniel Howell, how dare you doubt my standing up skills?" Then he turned away, and waved at Jimmy, who was ascending with a tray of three hot warm drinks. "Jimmy!" 

Jimmy passed Dan the tray for a moment when he arrived, pulled Lance forward and left a small kiss on the other man's lips. "Lance," He greeted, sounding gruff for a moment, and then thwacked his hand on the other man's shoulder, "You made me go get hot chocolate while you had a snowball fight?" 

Lance rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, along the short hairs there, and averted his green eyes for a moment. "Wasn't a plan, Jim." He admitted, and tossed his fiancé an embarrassed smile. "We'll wait for you next time?"

Jimmy was bending down though, grabbing some snow in his gloved hands and pressing it to Lance's cheek, before tossing the rest down his shirt. Then he kissed the other man's cheek, and jogged over to Dan, grabbing one of the drinks. "Thank you, Dan." He added, and passed the smaller and younger man a smile, "He's a problem to deal with sometimes."

Lance shrieked, ruffling at his shirt to get the snow out, and groaned. "This sucks." 

"Hey, Dan!" A voice came from the apartment doors, and Dan froze, before lifting his dark eyes to see Phil's approaching figure. 

"Oh shit," He cursed, and Lance had made his way over, pushing the other boy's shoulder. 

"Did you just swear, young man? That's it, grounded." He snapped his fingers together, and Jimmy was rolling his eyes this time, smiling, crinkles at the edges of his eyes. Which, actually, was the reason Lance had made the joke at all. He lived to make his fiancé smile. 

But then the impending doom of Phil became a little less impending, because he was in front of Dan now, and the brunette didn't know what to say. "Uh..." He only stuttered, and waved shortly, "I'm Dan."

"I... Know?" Phil raised a lighter eyebrow than his hair, and Dan had the stupid idea to touch the side of Phil's neck, where a tattoo was. By then, Jimmy and Lance were a couple feet away, laughing their butts off while their friend suffered speaking to probably the hottest guy he'd ever seen. "Dan, you feeling okay?" Phil added, and awkwardly moved his head down to look at Dan's hand on his neck.

Dan jerked his hand back, dark eyes round and wide, and swallowed nervously. "Yeah, I'm fine." His whole mouth felt so dry, like a desert in Arizona, or... What else was dry? His brain couldn't even figure that much out. "So, where were you headed?"

"To see my friend, we're havin' lunch," Phil looked over to Lance and Jimmy briefly, and then back to Dan, "If you're not still busy with your friends, you could come?" 

"Hell yeah he can!" Lance hollered, and wiggled his eyebrows when Dan looked over, "You're going, Pastel Freak.

Dan tugged off the pink hat he was wearing, and then motioned to the flower crown on his head. "You wanna sit with someone who's dressed like this?" He asked, and raised a dark eyebrow, "I'm surprised, most people think it's demeaning." 

Phil shrugged. "It's not, so... We going then?" 

"Yeah, let's go." Casting a glance towards Lance and Jimmy, Dan started following when Phil walked, and waved to his friends. 

They weren't gonna miss him. Honestly, they were probably going to make out in the snow like the sappy freaks they were. 

  →→→   

this should have been longer

but eh

i wrote this while listening to Rascal Flatts -- I Won't Let GoHere Comes Goodbye anndddd Bless the Broken Road