twenty one

after dinner, i practically ran up into my room, trying to avoid jack. i can't have sex with him. i just broke up with my boyfriend. that'll make my reputation even go more downhill. if that were even possible.

two powerful men spreading rumors about me. on being my ex husband and another being my boyfriend. none of them my genuine enemies. loving my life in the business world where my rank is probably the last number.

i pull my hair up into a quick ponytail and search for some pajamas. my phone starts to suddenly ring on the nightstand and i walk over to it, confused. my father's contact lights up on my screen.

i answer, "hey-"

"when were you going to tell me that you and braxton were broken up?" his strong voice booms through the line.

my eyes widen at his abruptness, "what-"

"octavia!" he scolds. "i had to find this out from your brother! your god damn bother who hasn't spoken to me in three years until now!" he exclaims.

that was not what i needed at the moment. him yelling in my ear through the phone like i committed such a terrible crime. there were no vows to even break.

"dad, i can explain-"

"you slept with jack gilinsky?" he cuts me off for the millionth time. "at braxton's own event. unbelievable." he mutters.

"i didn't sleep with him!" i cry out.

"then why the hell would braxton break up with you? just because? there had to be a very dumb ass reason because braxton is not like that. to just break up with you for no reason."

i frown, "he caught me and jack leaving the back room." i quietly mumble.

"excuse me? so you did have sex with him." he accuses.

"no, i didn't." i repeat, trying to clarify to my father that jack's dick did not enter my vagina.

"then why were you in the backroom?" he interrogates, his voice growing louder with anger.

the anguish that i'm feeling right now. lawrence and my father weren't even close, so i don't know why lawrence thinks it's any of his business to be telling my dad about my information.

"jack and i did not have sex." i say again. "but we did do something."

"are you serious? something sexual?" he mutters.

"just a little, but i tried to explain to braxton."

"probably making up an excuse like," he mocks a high pitched voice hat hurts me a little. "'i was too drunk' or 'it didn't mean anything, i swear'."

i close my eyes for a brief moment to stop myself from crying. even my own father has turned against me. it sure sounds like he has.

"did you know he was going to propose, octavia?" my dad questions. "he asked me for my blessing and i gave it to him freely and willingly."

"i didn't find out until after." i whisper, my voice breaking.

i'm on the verge of tears and my voice is all crackly. if i hadn't stupidly gone to the backroom with jack, i could've been a happily engaged woman. it's all my fault and started with me telling him not to bring a plus one.