Chapter X

This facade with River had been going on for about three weeks. He would arrive spontaneously every few days or nights and take me out for food or a movie, and when we would arrive back at the house, Rowan would be waiting on the porch, watching River and I carefully. Sometimes, River would peck my cheek or my forehead before driving back to his own pack, and I would be left to deal with Rowan’s piercing glare.

“He’s about to snap, you know.” River said to me as we drove back from dinner at a local diner.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Your mate. He gets angrier every time he sees me touch you.” He grinned and chuckled. “Do you mind if I push him just a little more?”

I looked my window and shrugged. “If you think that will help, go ahead.”

River nodded and pulled into the driveway, getting out and walking around the car to open my door for me. He closed the door after I had stepped out and pinned me against the car door. “Have you kissed your mate before?” He asked.

I blushed and looked over at Rowan, who looked like he was ready to murder someone. “Yes,” I nodded.

“So there’s nothing stopping me from doing this?” He brought his face closer to mine and pressed his lips against mine.

I froze, letting River do as he wished. This felt wrong. The warm, fuzzy feeling I had felt with Rowan was missing, and I didn’t feel safe at all.

A dark shadow tore River away from me, and, before I knew it, two black wolves were on the ground biting at each other. A pile of shredded clothes lay on the porch and another at my feet. They were fighting.

“Guys?” I asked shakily, stepping towards the fighting wolves. I couldn’t tell which was who. They were moving too quickly, and changing positions. One snapped at the other’s neck and the other yelped. What if that was Rowan? I knew I had to intervene.

I shifted and tackled River, the wolf on top, and snarled at him. River’s golden eyes stared back at me in confusion before I realised my mistake. River didn’t have golden eyes. I turned to the wolf behind me, who had green eyes. I knew it looked like I was trying to protect River - that had to be what Rowan thought.

Rowan gave one last snarl toward us before retreating back into the house.

Sorry, River said. I didn’t think he would react that heavily.

I turned to him and sniffed the bite mark that Rowan had left on him. I gave River an affectionate lick and turned back to the house. We should stop doing this, I said. It’s only made my situation worse.

Understood, River replied. He nudged my side with his nose. I had fun, though. Thanks.

I nodded and watched as he shifted back to his human form. River tousled my ears and reached into the backseat of his car, producing a spare change of clothes. He slipped the clothes on and got into his car. He gave one last wave before reversing out of the driveway and driving away.

My ears drooped as I slowly padded into the house to find Rowan sitting on the couch and glaring at the television. I decided not to bother him, so I made my way into my room and shifted back to my human self and got dressed. I collapsed onto my bed and grabbed my pillow, hugging it close to my chest and burying my face in it. I sighed and rolled over, wondering what the hell I had just done and how it would affect my future with Rowan. He was angry, and I knew it. I just hoped he wouldn’t try to avoid me.

~~*~~

Marble whimpered and rested his head in front of mine, licking my nose. I playfully snapped at him, and he scampered to hide behind Flint.

The pups were already running and playing, and I found it was easier to look after them if I was in wolf form.

Amber growled and launched herself at me, only managing to flop onto my chest. Deciding to let her win this time, I rolled onto my back in submission. I wasn’t exactly in the mood to play.

Rowan had been avoiding me. By this time, I hadn’t seen him for three days. An image of him flashed in my head, but not because I was thinking of him.

The pups had learnt to communicate through images, and they wanted their father. They all stared at me, waiting for me to do something.

I sighed and stood up, letting Amber slowly slide off me, before heading towards Rowan’s study. He had been cooped up in there for days, only letting Willow in to bring him food. I pushed the door open with my nose and entered the room.

Rowan was busy typing at his desk, staring intently at the computer screen.

I slowly made my way to his side and sat down, resting my head on his lap to get his attention.

Rowan froze and looked down at me. “Is something wrong?” He asked.

I nudged his leg and gestured with a nod towards the door. I stood up, waiting for him to follow me.

“I’m busy, Jay,” he said, pushing my muzzle away from him.

Huffing, I nudged his leg again. But this time, he just ignored me. This time, I opened my mouth and gently bit down on his leg.

Rowan frowned and stood up. “If I follow you, will you stop annoying me?” He asked, obviously annoyed.

I nodded and led him to the cubs, who immediately ran into his arms. “They need their father sometimes,” I said after shifting and leaning against the couch.

Alpha sighed and removed his shirt and pants, shifting into his wolf form. I followed.

Immediately, the pups attacked us with images of play and fun. They attempted to climb onto us, resulting in playful nips from Rowan.

An hour or so later, they had tired themselves out. This is what you called me out for? he asked.

I nodded, waiting for him to tell me to stop wasting his time.

Rowan licked my cheek. Thanks, he said and returned to his study.

If wolves could blush, I would be bright red.