24: Mila- Duly Noted

incident of the letter

****

WE REACHED MY loft later that night, Enzo helped me take my bags upstairs. I thought about whether or not I should let him in so he could stay the night, but I hesitated after our conversation today. Oh well, fuck it, might as well ask.

"Enzo?" I call out his name as he came down the stairs, brushing his hands down his jeans.

He grinned at me, showing his perfect white, straight teeth. How is that even possible? "What's up?"

"I- uh-" I stuttered, blinded for a second by how white his teeth looked even when the only light was a flickering street lamp near the building. "I was wondering if you wanted to stay the night. You know, since it's pretty late, and it was a pretty long drive."

"Mila," he looked conflicted. "It's okay, I'm just going to go crash in my own bed, but I'll take you up on your offer this weekend. I actually want to think over what we talked about today so you know I'm serious to fix things between us. It was a lot for the both of us."

"Hey," I place my hand on his arm. "I want you to know how much this means to me and that I'm slowly forgiving you. You don't need to walk on eggshells because I know that you're serious about this. So let me also slowly make it up to you Enzo."

I then looped my arms around his neck and pulled him in for a kiss. This kiss wasn't that all passionate type of kiss, but it was the sweet, mind-numbing type of kiss that made my head burst from a dopamine rush.

He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine, his breath in short pants.

"I really don't want to leave, but I have an exam in Ancient Architecture two days from now and my Art Portfolio which determines my grade for the semester is due tomorrow. But thank you for giving me another chance, I swear that I won't intentionally hurt you."

"You don't know how much I appreciate you saying that," I played with his hair as I looked into his eyes. "You should go and study your ass off so we can hang out this weekend. I'll see you later."

He pressed another chaste kiss on my lips and walked off, throwing me a wink when he got into the car.

"So cocky," I muttered under my breath, still grinning.

I was walking upstairs towards my loft when I saw an envelope slid underneath the crack of my door.

I slowly crept towards my door and leaned down to grab the note. I assumed it was Enzo because he took my things upstairs. Yeah, it was probably him. I decided to read his note later and went to change, but the thought of his note left me giddy.

When I was getting ready for bed, I remembered the note Enzo wrote for me and decided to read it.

"How romantic," I sighed.

I tore open the envelope and saw a sheet of paper. I carefully took it out and started to read.

"My dearest Mila,

It hurts. It hurts to see you with someone who's not me."

What.

The.

Fuck.

This was definitely not Enzo.

"That guy, Enzo. What do you see in him, darling? If anything, I've never lied to you like he has. I don't understand why you never noticed me. I've loved you from the start, but you threw it all away. I never cared that you dated other guys because I knew you were trying to get me to notice you. But darling, I always have. I know now that the only way for you to see that I'm telling the truth is that I hurt you. Darling, just know that whatever happens, I'm doing it so we could be together forever.

Love,

You'll figure it out soon, Mila.

P.S.- If you tell anyone about this... well.. you'll figure that out soon enough."

No, this can't be happening. How long has he watched me? How long has this been going on? My palms started to sweat, and I felt my heart beat faster.

I scoured my loft to find my phone. Until it suddenly began to ring. I found it sitting on the couch where my laptop was.

I answered my phone, holding my breath.

"Darling, I didn't think you would answer." The voice sounded scratchy, and it was completely unrecognizable for me to figure out who this person was. "It would be lovely if you said something Milana."

"Wh-who is t-this?" I was scared beyond reason right now. I looked around for open windows and double-checked if my door was locked.

"Darling," he drawled out. "Didn't you read my letter? You'll find out soon."

I stayed silent. My hand was itching to hang up and call the police or maybe even Enzo, but I couldn't after what he said a few seconds later.

"I know you were about to call Renzo." He growled. "Make wise decisions darling if you know what's good for you."

I gulped. "What do you want?"

"You of course darling," he sickly laughs. "Remember Milana, if word goes out, your lovely position as heiress will be snatched from right underneath your nose. Understand? I'm going to enjoy fucking you up soon, gorgeous." He then hung up.

I released the breath I was holding the entire phone call.

What the hell do I do? I looked up at the ceiling to prevent myself from completely bursting into tears.

----

Three days have passed since I got that phone call. It was also three days since I haven't seen Enzo. I mean, we did text and call each other, but we haven't seen each other face to face yet. Exams went fine for me, which was a relief considering I barely studied.

I had also received a gift Enzo had ordered for me while we were at the Hamptons. Apparently, it was another gift he couldn't get in time. The necklace he had ordered for me was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, and I clasped it around my neck right then.

My mind was urging me to tell Enzo, but I realized I couldn't do that because who knows what the person on the phone was capable of.

It was when Ellie called me, I started to calm down a little.

"Hey Ellie," I said into the phone. "I was going to call you."

"Hey babes!" The phone made her voice seem higher than it already was. "So sorry I didn't show up at your birthday party, something came up with my brother. Clearly, the kid doesn't know what underage drinking means."

I laughed. Paul was just like his older sister. Nobody would doubt that they are siblings.

"Shut up Mila," she grumbled. "For a seventeen-year-old boy, it seems like a six-year-old is stuck in the body. I swear, every mistake he does, I have to be the one to bail him out of it. I'm so sick of it."

I understood what she meant. Raina and I were in the same situation, except I was the more responsible one.

"I know what you mean Ellie, I really do." I sighed.

"Well," she starts. "I'm gonna have to go Mila, but we'll definitely have to go celebrate your birthday later. Drinks on me. Thanks for listening to me vent about my problems."

"That's what best friends are for Ellie." I then hang up.

I just wish I could vent about my problems to Ellie or even Enzo without anything bad happening.

What an ironic statement.