Chapter 16

"Ma'am please keep away." said the young male security guard behind the closed gates sizing her up. "This is private property."

"Yes." said Brielle desperately. "I need to make a phone call, that's all. I'm stuck in a predicament."

She knew she didn't look anything like a respectable woman. But the security guard was the only person she saw in the vicinity. She was certain that in the wee hours of the morning, she could count on him to help her.

"Ma'm its 2 o' clock at night. Please come in the morning." said the security guard, scratching his head. "The building is more or less empty. It's just me on the grounds here."

 He was clearly in a dilemma. He wanted to help her, but was afraid he would lose his job. 

"Can you call the police saying there's a trespasser?" Brielle asked, an idea forming in her head. She was shivering as the water on her skin rapidly evaporated. The breeze on her naked body felt freezing. Should she be arrested, she would be granted a night's stay in a warm cell, at least. Perhaps even a hot meal.

"But you haven't trespassed." said the man perplexed. He was not catching on and Brielle was honestly too tired to explain. She slumped against the closed gate, her tired legs barely managing to keep her standing.

 Brielle looked up at the tall building, feeling hopeless. A room on the fifteenth floor was lit up, but as her eyes found it, it suddenly became dark. Someone had switched off the lights. Someone was leaving the building.  Someone could possibly help her.

After what seemed like hours to Brielle, but was actually only a few minutes, a big black Sedan drove up to the gate noiselessly. The engine was of high quality, the high power white lights tore through the darkness and fell flush on Brielle standing at the gate. She blinked unable to see. 

"Ma'am get away from the gates. I have to open them." said the guard firmly. Brielle's aching body obeyed her mind as she stepped away beside the boundary walls.

But, when the guard had finally unlocked the gates, Brielle didn't see any car come out. Instead she saw a familiar figure come running through. The man's silhouette looked left and right, across the street and beyond, before he spotted Brielle right behind himself.

"Brielle," he said as he rushed towards her. She looked up to see Jack, the very man who had cautioned her. The only man who had truly cared.

Jack swiftly took off his grey coat and slung it over Brielle's shoulders, warming her immediately. She looked at him, gratitude filling her soul. He didn't despise her for the state she was in, or for not believing him.

"Jones?" he asked huskily searching her eyes, as though wanting to know if the very person was responsible for her condition. Brielle was surprised he even knew Zachary's surname. He always referred to him as 'sissy' or 'blondie'. She nodded in response.

He tilted her face to look into her tired eyes, with his own bright ones and then lowered his lips to hers. Brielle was too shocked to move. Jack was kissing her, when she smelled and looked foul, she'd been assaulted and molested and was standing on the streets all alone and in her underwear. She couldn't understand why he would even want to touch her.

He held her neck with one hand and traced her cheeks with the other. I want to kiss him back, but... Using whatever strength she had left, Brielle pulled away.

"I don't feel good." she said simply. Jack nodded immediately as though chastising himself for kissing her.

"Sorry." he said pulling her into a tight hug, her body pressed against his. Does he not care that his suit's getting ruined?