Guardian Chickens

Mr. Grumpy pants was mad. He was mad because I had locked him in and I had endangered myself by being alone in the house. He wasn't talking to me at the moment and I had laughed when he first told me that.

He wouldn't last the remainder of the day without speaking to me. I was willing to bet my left arm for that.

When I finished reading the book l had started a few days ago, I just set it down in the table and stretched out on the couch. April had long past passed out and her slight snoring was lulling me to sleep. My eyes were halfway from shutting closed when the voice I was expecting spoke out.

"Alright, I can't be mad at you. Say something. Anything. I just want to hear your voice again." He was now kneeling in front of me and I was staring at him through heavy eyes. I smiled and stretched, quickly pulling my shirt down when it inched up.

"It hasn't even been three hours and you gave up already. Must be a record."

He picked me up so he could sit down -even though there were two other couches available- and then placed me in his lap. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. Just bored so I'm gonna take a nap. Wake me up when there's food." I heard his deep chuckle as I passed out comfortably in his arms. He indeed did wake me up when food was prepared, and I all but bolted to the table before he could say anything else.

After lunch, he made his announcement through the mind link. Even though I could not hear what he or they were saying, I could feel it. I could feel the power emanating from Alex as he concentrated and spoke to his people. He let out a short growl at one point and his arms tightened around me, making me curious on what they were talking about. He began to slowly smile and not even five minutes later, he was full blown smiling. The silent conversation lasted no more than thirty minutes, but that was enough; every pack that had enough warriors available agreed to help and Alex couldn't be any prouder.

"You should compensate the families of those who are battling. Im not trying to curse us, but some of them may not be coming back." I looked down at my hands while I said this.

"I know. And I am. Every fallen warrior will be buried with Royal honors and fallen or not, they will be compensated. They are protecting you so they deserve something in return for protecting my treasure."

I rolled my eyes and hopped off his lap. "Have I ever told you that you are so corny?"

"Have I ever told you that I don't care and that I love you?"

"Nope. And if you have, well I don't remember it."

He tried to grab me but I jumped away and landed on the opposite side of his desk. He bared his teeth and stood up as he stalked me. "Well come here so I can repeat it over and over again so you will always remember it."

"Nah I'm good. Besides, I have to unpack." Not really. I was having a girls day inside the palace, and I needed to get there soon, knowing they would be getting impatient if I left them waiting any longer.

He stopped mid step confused. "Unpack what?" I smirked and thought of one word. Let see what he thinks of this...... His eyes blackened and he growled. "I want to see them."

"I don't even know how they look like. So you're just going to have to-" His lips crushed into mine and I forgot what I was talking about. When he pulled away, my legs were too weak to hold me up and he seemed to be enjoying doing that job for me.

"You were saying?"

"Wha-a-at-tt?" I stuttered out and he laughed. I shook my head and pushed myself off of him before I walked across the hallway and into our room. "No boys allowed." And I slammed the door. I blushed when I saw the smirking girls and then shrieked when they threw some pillows at me. Where was Ali? She was suppose to be here as well.....