Chapter 38

The next morning we clean up, get ready and head out for breakfast at the buffet downstairs. This hotel must have cost a fortune.

We sit down and eat the lovely food. Croissants, Danishes, French toast, bacon, eggs. They have everything. And, in turn, I eat everything. We all do. Especially Toby and Dylan. I mean, I knew Dylan ate a lot. Toby doesn't eat a lot, he just eats unhealthily. His plate is full of sweet pastries and sugar.

Dylan freaks out when he hears about what happened last night. "So you're saying that psycho who hates you took photos of us sleeping?!"

"That's what it looked like." Sierra says.

"That's some freaky shiz. Can't we call the cops or something?"

"We could."

"Then why don't you? She took your little game too far." Dylan moans. "Especially since now I'm involved."

"He's right. You should tell the authorities." Josh says.

"I can't! She's got too much on me. If she knows about Vanessa then we are definitely screwed." Sierra complains.

"That's probably why she showed up at the party then, so that you knew she has something." Josh explains.

"What exactly happened with you and Vanessa?" Bridgette pipes in.

"It's none of your business. But to sum it up, it can get me in a ton of trouble. And to be honest, I don't think putting her in prison is worth having a cell next to her." Sierra grumbles.

"What did you do?" Harmony exclaims. "I mean, if you're a criminal, can't we be called accomplices or something?"

"What I did can't hurt you guys." Sierra assures us. "Loreen can't act like she knows the truth. The only people who know are me and Vanessa. Plus, all she has is pictures of you sleeping. If she spreads them around, it's only herself she'll get in trouble."

"Other than be a real creep, there isn't much she can do. Is there?"

***

We're on the road again at around midday. Jitters for the formal hits everyone around then. Even Harmony seems nervous. I call Kyle but he doesn't pick up. Toby asks me what's wrong. I try answering normally. For some reason, I can't seem to forget his expression in the photo booth. It really looked like he was going to kiss me. Like he wanted to. Maybe I'm just overreacting.

That is until I look over and see him staring at me weirdly. "What's up?" I say, snapping him out of his daze.

"Nothing. I was just wondering about Kyle."

"Yeah?"

"You're still pretty shocked about everything." He says this like a statement, like he can read me as if I'm an open book.

"I don't know."

"So you're saying the fact his father's abusive, he's having a half-sibling and still doesn't tell you everything isn't even slightly surprising you." He raises an eyebrow.

"Well when you put it like that... What do you mean he doesn't tell me everything?"

"Things would be different if he did. At least that's what he says."

"You don't make any sense." I sigh and bring my hand to my forehead.

"Neither do you." He mumbles under his breath. I must have heard him wrong. My stomach knots. I cringe at the idea of anything bad happening to Kyle. "Don't worry about him. He's doing alright." Toby says and pats my arm. "Are you ready for your prom?"