Chapter 2

Enjoy chapter 2!

•••

"Dang, these lamb chops are really good." I say, and stuff my face.

"You han seem amthing til you seem dethert." Josefina chimes in with a full mouth.

"Will you two stop eating so much? Is the food even touching your tongue? Are you even tasting it?" Kelsie says.

I ignore her.

I am seated at the Slytherin table in between my two best friends - the only two people I know in this entire room. Dumbledore decided to put me in Slytherin in hopes that having my best friends with me would make me more comfortable.

I wipe the back of my hand across my mouth, feeling extremely satisfied, and pull a hefty book out of my bag to crack open on the table.

"Ew, she's reading again." Josefina says.

"What's new." Kelsie sighs.

Draco's POV -

I'm not hungry. I don't know why. The food that I've eaten year after year doesn't look appetizing to me anymore.

All I can think about is the task I was given by the Dark Lord at the beginning of the year - to kill Dumbledore. Which obviously, is the last thing I want to do. As I look around at all of the laughing and grinning students surrounding me, I realize how much I crave a normal life. Not the one I have, where I'm being used as an instrument of murder.

I look up from my empty plate, and something - or someone - catches my eye.

A girl.

Vivid red hair and forest green eyes that I can make out from far across the table. She was the girl that bumped into me on the platform.

I wasn't trying to be rude when the two of us had collided - I was just already pissed when it happened. I'd just had a conversation with my father, Lucius, beforehand, and I wasn't exactly in the mood for friendly run-ins. I'm not saying I wouldn't have been an ass, maybe just not as much of an ass.

Her chin is propped in her hand, her elbow resting on the table. Her eyes are trained on the pages of the book in front of her, and I can't help other than to notice how gentle she looks with her red curls falling in her face.

I keep on staring. Something about her makes me not want to look away, ever. I try to look away, but I can't, and once again, I don't know why. After all, I don't even know the girl.

"What are you staring at?" Blaise says from beside me, interrupting my thoughts.

Before I can come up with a good lie, his eyes have already followed my line of vision to the girl.

"Or who are you staring at. Shit, man, she's hot. God damn, I'd hit that." He says.

The redheaded girl is too absorbed in the pages of her book to overhear the things being said about her just a few feet away.

I quickly tear my eyes away from her and stare at my plate again, hoping that this will make Blaise look away, as well. But it doesn't.

"Hooooly shit. She's crazy hot. Fucking hell, man, I'd be all up on that."

I've had enough.

"Shut the hell up, idiot."

"Damn, no hard feelings. Just saying." He says, backing down. This is a good decision on his part.