Chapter One

Chapter One

Taylor Swift's songs carry me through all the emotions of heartbreak and even provide the perfect soundtrack for getting even, but unfortunately, Annalise has forbidden me from taking a golf club to my ex's car.

I would love to make him hurt just like I'm hurting, but instead, we're going to drink until the pain goes numb or I pass out.

She knocks on the bathroom door and pokes her head inside.

"Because I couldn't find anything to wear." I frown.

"Finish your makeup and I'll find you something to wear."

I could find a lot of clothes to wear, but the truth is that I didn't feel like leaving my apartment. I conjured up reasons to stay at home but nothing would fly with Annalise. She knows damn well I don't have fears like agoraphobia or anthrophobia.

I finish the last of my makeup and wander into the chaos that's my bedroom. There's clothes strewn across the floor and my bed. Annalise holds up an old black dress I haven't seen since my late teen years.

"I don't know if that'll fit." I chuckle.

"Your boobs always looked good in this dress; perfect for tonight." She smiles.

"I'm not picking up anyone tonight."

"Sometimes the best way to get over somebody is to get under somebody." She winks.

"I don't think that'll help."

She throws the dress at me and I quickly change into it. It's so tight but it highlights my hourglass figure.

"Can you at least score us some free drinks?" She grins.

"Free drinks sounds good." I nod.

"Drinks in general sounds good to me."

"So true!"

"Our Uber should be here in a minute."

"Shoots, let's go then."

I shove some makeup into my clutch and lock the door on the way out. Annalise finds our Uber and jumps into the front seat.

"Do you have an aux cord?"

"Yeah." The driver points to a cord dangling down from the stereo.

She plugs the cord into her phone and looks over her shoulder with a bright grin.

"Oh no." I shake my head.

"Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me."

"I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed." I sigh.

"She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead." Her electric energy has me sighing with defeat.