Chapter 31: The Blunder

"I want a year’s worth of seconds and minutes with you. I want a decade’s worth of hours, so many that I can’t add them up."

-Jennifer L Armentrout, Origin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indy POV

That was definitely not what I'd been expecting. Not that I knew what to expect. Not that I'd been expecting anything.

Stop rambling, Indy.

Nathan ripped himself from me and turned around, burying his hands in his hair and letting out a low curse. He turned for a second, looked at me with a tortured expression in his eyes and whipped back around.

For a few seconds I stared at his back, taking in what he said, because I didn't know what to say..how to react.

I moved forward and he tensed, I ignored that and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Nathan." I whispered.

He didn't react. He didn't even move a muscle.

I tugged on his arm, not that any help came from that.

"Nate." I tried again.

Nothing. Zilch.

"Nathan Stripe, would you turn around?" I hissed at him, casting a glance at Remy who was, thankfully, still asleep.

"I just.." he started, his voice hoarse, like he hadn't used it at all. 

I waited, resisting the urge to tap my foot on the floor.

I sighed. 

Looks like I was going to have to push. Goody.

I walked around to face him and pushed at his chest. He didn't budge.

Dammit.

"Would you move?" I asked, putting in a little more oomph into the push.

Nathan's jaw was like granite, hard and unmoving.

"Jesus. I'd like to talk to you,  would you look at me?" I grumbled at him.

God, please make him come back to me.

His eyes slowly opened. 

"Okay." he said, nodding, just as slowly.

"It speaks!" I muttered sarcastically.

A small smile lifted his mouth, before dropping again.

"Why did you..." I stopped, not knowing how to come out right with it.

"Why did I kill my father?" he asked, a hint of bitterness entering his voice.

I nodded. 

God. I was so insensitive.

"Tell me." I insisted again.

He rubbed his hand over his face, letting out a short laugh.

"What could possibly be there to explain, Indy?" he asked.

"He's dead. I killed him."

I flinched at that. 

"I'm not saying..." I swallowed, unsure how to continue. "Nathan..just tell me what happened." 

He shot me a sharp look. 

"Like I said, Indy, there is nothing left to tell."

"I refuse to believe that. The man I fell in love with would not kill his father for no reason." I said.