Chapter 2

Argumentative Peace | 02

DANIEL HATED HIS MATH class the most. Well, the main reason was because Harriet was in the same class, and their assigned seats were parallel to eachother.

He plopped his stuff down on his desk and smothered a weary sigh. Polly wouldn't leave his side the whole morning, probably because of his recent break up.

"What are you sighing about? Too many rainbows in your butt?"

Daniel whipped his head to the source of the snooty voice, which belonged to none other than Harriet Benchman.

"Stop being a creep," he lamely shot back, before turning in his seat. It seemed that whenever he was around Harriet, his luck shut down, leaving him as an unprotected shell of a human being with very bad comebacks.

Harriet scoffed and turned away, and Daniel couldn't help himself from exhaling in relief. Harriet's demeanor always left his skin crawling.

She never really understood the difficulties of being popular.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

HARRIET HATED HER HOME ECONOMICS class the most. Well, probably because Daniel was always at the far corner of the room, taunting her from the other side, sandwiched in the middle of his group of friends.

Usually she would ignore him. She found slight comfort with the exchange student, Yara, who didn't know English that well. But at some point, Daniel always went past the limit.

She was in the middle of talking with Yara while mixing her bowl of cookie dough, when Daniel shouted from across the room: "Hey Harriet! What toad did your mom marry to make you look like that?"

The last few insults were quite libelous, but as soon as Daniel mentioned her mother, it became personal. Her parents might not get along that well, but they were still her family. And hearing those horrendous words come out of his mouth made her blood boil.

Daniel didn't seem to notice that Harriet was walking towards him. He was too busy laughing along with his friends. Harriet could slightly make out Yara's quiet protests but she persevered on until she was up close, right next to him.

Daniel stopped laughing, and something that looked like fear flashed through his eyes. With one swift movement, Harriet poured her gooey cookie batter onto his scalp, leaving him sputtering as the mixture trailed down his face.

His friends seemed to freeze, looking in horror at his caked hair.

"Oops, I almost forgot," Harriet said innocently, taking dry flour, from the table, in her hand and smashing it on his face. A girl next to him shrieked and glared at her, before rushing towards Daniel and cooing at him. Harriet sneered.

Daniel coughed, frantically waving at his face and eyes. Harriet could hear Mrs. Reginald screaming behind her, but a smile tugged at her lips nonetheless.

With a mocking wink, she let Mrs. Reginald drag her to the principal's office, her grey eyes twinkling in the lucid light.

He never really understood the difficulties of being awesome.