Chapter Ninteen : Look What You've Done

Kaine Turner

"Oh my god hi!" Ajani cried as the midwife placed our son into her arms for the first time. She kissed his forehead off instinct and gently rubbed his back as he laid on her and they skinned to skinned bonded. Her mother seemed proud of her that she'd done fourteen hours of labor all natural and delivered him like a champ.

"He's beautiful" Alijah complimented and I smiled and squatted down some looking at my sons features. It was too soon to tell who he looked like but I knew he had his mother's lips and looked similar to her newborn pictures.

"Go tell fadda he's here" Ajani said to her mother as I gently stroked my sons cheek. He was calm and had stopped all of his crying once he got in her arms. I hadn't held him yet but the experience already felt so surreal.

This child that you created will be somebody one day and will hopefully grow up healthy and strong. They depend on you to guide them through life and to love them, I was going to make a better version of myself.

"He's so tiny and gorgeous, look at the bwoys hands" Ajani said lifting one up so I could see and I laughed. I brushed my thumb over his hand and he fidgeted before his cries started but stopped abruptly at Ajani's touch.

The door soon opened and Jesse walked in with this unreadable look on his face like he was in disbelief about everything. He went over to Ajani's bedside and kissed her forehead before looking at one of the midwives.

"Everything is okay with my likkle gyal and the baby? No complications?" Jesse questioned with his nervousness seeping out.

"Mama and baby are just fine" she assured him and he sighed in relief. He turned his attention to the baby and squatted down looking my son over.

"Bwoy he looks like you, he's perfect. Just wait until the day you have your own likkle gyal" he teased and I smiled to myself at the though of having a big family.

"You think so? I only see Ajani's lips on him. His face is all scrunched up and red but I love him so much already, I was afraid I wouldn't be attached to him right away" I explain.

"That's how I use to feel with Johan but it's like that sometimes with sons. Contrary to popular belief never be afraid to show your son affection. You're a man now and even though sometimes I still want to kill you, I have a lot of respect for you and I couldn't see her being with anyone else and being this happy" Jesse complimented.

I ignored the part about him thinking of killing me and just smiled watching Ajani fall in love with the baby. I hadn't seen her eyes light up about something in awhile, she'd be stressed leading the cartel but she was finally able to feel needed.

"What are you going to name him?" The midwife asked and Ajani looked to me. I smiled and eyed my son before taking a deep breath preparing to brand him for life.

"Knox Bodhi Turner" I said simply and the nurse smiled. Ajani's grandfather Silas helped inspire the name when he came to visit and was telling us about his experiences and learning about different religions while he was away.

He'd evolved and took a different path than everyone else and was the happiest person in the world. I knew when Knox got older he'd be a great influence on him, the name Knox was something Ajani and I both liked and had agreed on after looking at a baby book.