Chapter Twenty Four

"All you need is a friend."

"For once put all the pain behind and see what lies in front of your eyes."

After a while of gazing at the sky, she sighed deeply and smiled.

How hard it was to find this much peace in herself for Iris, all the chaos she has entitled herself to be in, the moment like these are so rare!
When she lets herself be something more than just a wounded soul haunted by her past, free from all those grim memories of the past that she confined herself into.

She looked down and thought of the time when life seemed nothing but just a choice between Peanut Butter and Cheese. But now if she looked upon all the choices she'd to make in the course of life, she found them so much more than that, so much more that she felt like she was lost now into all the choices that she had made.

She gulped hard and bowed her head as the tears started filling in her eyes.

She tried deep breaths to calm herself and as she inhaled the subtle scent of lavender, her face etched into a smile. She cleared her throat and asked, "So for how long, do you plan to stand there?" She asked without turning back.

"As long as it would've taken for you to acknowledge my presence, I guess..."
In the silence of the night, his voice echoed around the garden.

Iris smiled and turned around to find Jason, standing near one lawn chair, adoring the Moon.

"Remember all those times, we'd spend on the roof of your house, just staring at the sky without the care of the world? Back then, even our silence had so much meaning than our words have now..."

"Those times we spent together..." Iris trailed off.

"Yes," he said out with a sigh of longing, "and how sure your mother was that we made out there, how sure she was of our secret relationship!" He chuckled.

"Ew... That's undoubtedly one of the grossest conversations I had ever had with my mother. Spare the sex talks she tried to have with me."

Jason chuckled and sat beside her.

"It's so hard to believe that we have come this far."

"So far that now I feel like I am lost."

"That's called life, I guess..." Jason smiled wryly.

"I don't know anything anymore, Jason," Iris sat in Indian style.

"You remember the time, when I got engaged in a relationship with Ver? Since then, our bonding time had been reduced to one day a week." Jason stated, still staring at the sky.

"Yes, very well. We had our first fight then. It took me a hard time to accept the fact that you are no longer mine."

"Yup, you always has a hard time accepting the hard facts, don't you?" Jason playfully nudged her shoulder.

Iris turned to look at Jason and narrowed her eyes.

"Where is this conversation going?"

"You know where..." Jason answered and spared her a glance.

"No I don't." Iris furrowed her brow, still looking at Jason.

"When you first told me about Derek, leaving the specific details, did you really think that I wouldn't have guessed the alterations you'd made to the whole story?" Jason asked turning to look at her.