Chapter Twenty-one

I just have to say thank you guys so much for your love and support this means so much.

I truly feel like a lucky author as all of your comments are so inspiring, keep doing this and you might get a quicker chapter ;)

Anyway here's another chapter.

××

You know the time when you get up early to get ready for school but realise that it's the weekend. Yeah well I might have done that. But the worse feeling is that you can't get back to sleep.

Giving up on sleeping I changed into grey sweatpants and a white tube top and settled on watching television. As I stood in the living room I was surprised to see Josh lying on the table and watching tv. It was an odd sight that I thought I'd never see. Maybe the couch was too comfortable? Who am I kidding it's Josh we're talking about, it's not that surprising he's doing something weird.

"Josh why are on the table?" I asked raising a brow.

"So I can watch tv" He replied not even glancing at me, too entranced by his surfing show.

"You know they recently invented a couch which is used for sitting on and watching tv" I explained in an excited tone.

"Go and annoy someone else" He waved me off.

I glanced at the various bags placed around the corner, some large suitcases and then I remembered. Josh was going backpacking around Europe with his girlfriend for a few months. He's leaving in a few days and I am jealous, I mean anything to get out of school and backpacking around Europe sounds fun.

I didn't know what to do. I had no homework and no plans. I grabbed my phone and rang up Isa, grabbing a bowl of muesli.

"Hello" Isabelle said on the first ring.

"Hey, what you doing?" I asked.

"Doing homework" She replied in a duh tone. "What are you doing?" She asked as I opened my mouth to respond but she quickly answered. "Wait I know. Your sitting on the couch and watching tv" Isabelle sounded proud at herself.

"Nah. I'm lying on the table and watching tv" I replied, emphasising thelast part so Josh could hear me.

He childishly poked his tongue out at me and turned back around to watch tv.

"Are you serious?" She asked.

"Of course I'm not, cause I'm a normal human being".

"I knew that" Isabelle muttured.

I heard some background noise before she quickly replied. "Look I gotta go, I'll talk to you soon"

Before I could object she hung up the phone.

I thought about what to do and I resorted to looking for the grocery list mum always pins on the fridge.

Unusually there was no note on the fridge. Normally I would be happy, but now I would do anything to get out of the house.

I stood at the kitchen bench and continued eating noticing Josh get up and walking towards the front of the house. I just shrugged and continued eating. I suddenly heard bickering, Josh's voice the most prominent and an unfamiliar voice. I tried listening in but when I couldn't distinguish the other voice.

Giving up, I made my way to the front where Josh stood, the door slightly open and his body tense. I gave out a gasp when I saw who was at the door.

Daddy dearest.

Josh gritted his teeth. "What is he doing here?" He asked mum in a furious tone.

We all hated John. Josh hated him for leaving us when I was merely born. Mum hated him for leaving because it wasn't a goof enough life. And I hated him for not thinking we were good enough.

John looked to have cleaned up quite well.. different from all the photos we had of him. Of course we burned all of the memories including his photos in this house. No one wanted to be reminded that he existed because he caused so much pain. Mum couldn't handle having two kids with her job, she barely got enough to feed one child and herself so Josh took the role of taking care of me. Missing out on a few years of school.

He had shaved his beard and he has aged quite a bit. He didn't look poor, wearing a nice pair of jeans and a white jumper from champion. Looks as though he's found the life he's always wanted. So why is he back?

Mum stood next to him and I couldn't believe that she didn't look at him with hate or anything. Instead she defended him. "Watch your tone Josh, he's your father"

I laughed in a mocking tone. "Father?! He lost that title when he left us when we were kids. Say where were you for the past eighteen years John?" I asked in a harsh tone looking directly him.

He avoided eye contact rubbing the back of his neck.

I then looked at mum. "And what are you thinking bringing him back here? He hurt all of us, especially you and now your defending him?"

Josh's voice was cold and harsh, and he spaced out each word coldly directly to John. "You need to leave"

Mum fought back as John stood there pathetically. "Both of you need to calm down and think before you talk. He's come back for our forgiveness and we will listen to him because I say so" She gave us both a long hard glare.

"Ok then" I agreed as John looked at me with slight shock for agreeing. "Let's hear the apology" I mocked him.

There was silence as we waited for it.

He opened his mouth a few times, debating what to say but it seems as though he couldn't find the right words. Heck he couldn't find any words.

Josh shook his head and scoffed. "Exactly what we thought" and turned his back walking away.

I gave a last look to John shaking my head with a disappointed look before turning away.

I then remembered something and turned back around to them. "You guys can have a lovely tea party and pretend to forget what happened seventeen years ago but I'm not going to play this little game of yours" I continued my rant. "Oh and you know what? Cheaters don't change-" a flash of fear flashed in his eyes and he gave me a pleading look. "You know what? I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to hurt you even more, but now I realise that it only makes you oblivious to the truth. He cheated on you with your co-worker. What was her name?" I asked pretending to find the name. "Oh yeah, it was Sandy wasn't it?" I asked John.

Mum gasped and looked at John for an answer. He skilfully looked away staring directly at me with anger. There's those anger issues coming back again. John was never good at keeping his anger in nor controlling it and he often took it out on us. I was told that once he got so angry that he punched Josh to the ground so hard that he broke his jaw.

I turned my attention to mum. "He started about a year before you guys broke up and he threatened me when I found out. He reminded me of how poor you were and told me you'd be destroyed if he leaves, saying that if I told you, I'd be the reason for your destruction. So I held it in but it's funny how things always come out, isn't it?" I mocked him.

I walked closer to John taking a threatening step towards him. Anger flared in his eyes and a blackness overtook him. He looked furious and any minute now, I could imagine him punching me. "Congratulations, you got mums forgiveness but I will make your life a living hell if you continue to want to be in our lives" I finished twirling my body and storming off.

As you can tell I hate John. 

××

Hey guys finally got time to do this chapter, just saying this is an example of me sometimes updating every once in a while.

So what do you think about Avery's past? Especially now knowing more about her past?

Please comment and vote as I want to know what you think so far.
~ Ashley