Chapter 36: A pack of cards and a deal at hand.

Caden

Breakfast had never felt so lonely and quiet until I moved into Blayze's home. Thinking far back, I realised we've never sat at the table and had a meal together.

I cut out a piece from my pancake, put it into my mouth and chewed. I couldn't seem to taste anything. Maybe because I ate without joy. I simply ate fill my stomach. I washed it down with a glass of juice.

"More juice madam?" The maid questioned as she took hold of the jug in an attempt to pour me another. I shook my head at her request.

"I'm okay." She nodded to my statement and just as she was about to leave, a thought crossed my mind.

"Blayze... my husband, has he eaten?"

"No. He hasn't asked for his breakfast." She was polite in her reply and I found myself nodding in accordance.

"So... like when does he usually eat?"

"Sometimes he does but have very little and other times, he doesn't."

Her reply left me nodding once again. For a moment, I was in deep thoughts. I looked back up to the young lady in front of me. Putting up a warm smile, I asked for a favour.

* * *

I made a knock on the door and waited for a reply on the other side. When I heard it, I gently pushed the door open and our eyes were first to meet. I wind up a simple smile before making my way in. I set the tray in my hands on his table after pushing aside a few of the documents on it.

Once I looked back up to him, I met his eyes glaring back at me. My reaction to that was a smile on my part.

"I was told you haven't had breakfast so I brought you something to eat." I admitted politely but that didn't soften the look he had in his eyes for me.

"Thank you Caden. That was nice and thoughtful of you." I mimicked what should have been his response. That only made him look away from me, back to his laptop.

I was forced to let out a sigh. Truthfully, I'm tired of doing the same thing over and over again. It's like we're in this continuous circling that cannot be breached. It is becoming a bit exhausting.

"It's Sunday Blayze. You really don't have to work. You can rest. Do something fun apart from working all day and night." I suggested but it would seem those fell on deaf ears.

Drawing in a deep breath, I looked away. I spent the next few seconds looking around the room, nothing in particular caught my attention. Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind and I made my way out of the room.

Blayze

My eyes followed until she was out of the room. I stared hard and a little longer at the breakfast she left on my table. I couldn't understand why she saw the need to keep doing this. I'd made it clear how unsettling and futile her actions were but she never seems to listen.

My throat felt a little parched so I reached out for the glass of juice on the tray and brought to my lips to drink. The door opened and she walked right in. She stopped as her eyes fell on me. Slowly, a smile drew on her face.

"It's tasty, isn't it?" Her question made me realise what she meant. After having a bit of the juice, I returned the glass to the tray and my attention was back to my work.

A minute later, I fell a little curious so I looked up and behold her already seated on the floor in front of the centre table as she played with something in her hands. I narrowed my eyes at what it was and realised she was shuffling a pack of cards. She looked my way.