Chapter 47

Fadil

"Tea," Ramlah mumbled standing at the threshold of the living room. My gaze flickered to her and immediately I stood up to take the tray full of snacks and tea from her.

"Assalam u alaikum Bhabi." Salman greeted gloomily. His eyes were devoid of any emotion. His beard was unkempt, his dishevelled black hair needed a haircut badly. But it didn't matter to him. He was consumed in his misery.

"Walaikum salaam bhai." Ramlah murmured and then left the room.

I offered Salman a plate and the platter of samosa, "Look Salman I will be very honest. Just be patient. Have good intentions. Everything else works out. Allah knows what is in the hearts." I shrugged, "You never know if things change and she end up marrying you."

Salman paused in the act of taking the samosa from the platter, he incredulously regarded me, "I hope so man. Inshaa Allah."

"But remember whatever happens it is for the best. Because Allah is the best planner." I reminded him grabbing two samosas for myself.

He nodded curtly, "Yes indeed."

In that moment, I conceded I was being a fool for ignoring Ramlah. I had been too hurt and furious that it took her weeks to discern something was wrong. I know in the last few days she had been trying. How many times my hands had itched to answer her call or just reply her texts? But I just wasn't able to. Taking the bite of the scrumptious chicken samosa, I gazed at the lost man in front of me, Allah had blessed me a wife who I was crazy about and I knew she had strong feelings for me. Reluctantly, I decided as I set the half eaten samosa on the plate, I will not be angry with Ramlah anymore.

After few minutes Salman had left, I had thought to go and make up with Ramlah but just then Mom, Dad and Ejaz were back from the grocery shopping. We all got busy. I was discussing the new marketing campaign with Dad while playing racing dinky cars with Ejaz. He was clutching the red dinky in his hand and was running it up and down on the living room oriental rug. But the car would get stuck among the thick carpet threads and he would whimper. I gently untangled the car from the carpet and set it on the tiled floor instead.

"Why don't you play this way? You may make your Daddi very angry if she sees you are attacking her oriental rug with your cars." I muttered and then showed him how to play on the naked tiled floor.

He soon joined me and was squealing when the cars swoosh across the living room floor. Dad was quietly watching us. Ejaz again pushed the red dinky hard that it went under the sofa.

Dad chuckled, "I remember how you and Fahd used to do that."

I glanced at him distractedly as I saw Ejaz peeking under the sofa to get his toy car out. He laid flat on his tummy and stretched his hand trying to feel the car. But to no avail and soon his wailing started due to frustration.

I sighed, "Dad can you help. I will pick up the sofa and you can take out the car."

Smiling cheerfully, Dad stood up to help, "In Ejaz, I see your and Fahd's childhood. He has so many similarities."

My eyebrows knotted as I picked the heavy leather sofa from one side and groaned breathlessly, "if this is what we made you do. I now understand why you got annoyed with us easily."

Dad laughed heartily as he bent down to retrieve the toy car from under the uplifted sofa.

Ramlah had been in the kitchen preparing dinner. During dinner, we had sat side by side as always but for some reasons she had been very quiet. She was in deep thoughts again. Perplexed, I wondered what was consuming her thoughts now. But as I ate the food displayed in front of me I observed that she had made all my favourite dishes, chicken biryani and mutton seekh kebab. She had even prepared a dessert which was rare in our household as both my parents had diabetes.