Chapter 184.

Hardin's POV.

"I had a nice time tonight Hardin." Tessa tells me when I pull into my father's driveway to drop her off.

I should be taking her off at home, our home.

"Me too. I hate ice-skating." I say and she laughs.

"I couldn't tell."

"What are you doing the rest of the night?" I ask her.

"Nothing, studying I guess. You?"

"Nothing, I don't have shit to do actually." I rub my eyes.

"Are you tired?" She questions.

"Yeah, a little."

"You should go to bed early." She suggests.

"I can't. I haven't slept through the night in two weeks." I admit and her face falls.

"Oh."

Tessa's POV.

Of course he hasn't.

"Are you.. have you been.." I begin.

"Yeah, every single night." He tells me and my heart aches.

"I'm sorry." I hate this. I hate those nightmares for haunting him.

I hate that I'm the only elixir, the only thing to make them stay away.

"It's fine. I'm fine." He says but the dark circles under his eyes beg to differ.

Inviting him up would be a terribly stupid idea. I am supposed to be thinking about what to do with my life from this point forward, not spending the night with Hardin. It's so strange that he is dropping me off at his father's house, this is exactly why I need to get my own place.

"You could come up? Just to get some sleep, it's still early." I offer and his head snaps up.

"You'd be okay with that?" He asks and I nod before I let my thoughts invade.

"Sure.. only to sleep though." I remind him with a smile and he nods.

"I know Tess."

"I didn't mean it like that.." I try to explain.

"I got it." He huffs.

Okay..

There is a distance between us that is both incredibly uncomfortable and comfortable at the same time. I want to just reach over and push the lone strand of hair that has fallen onto his forehead but that would be too much. I need this distance, just like I need Hardin. It's very confusing and I know inviting him up won't be helpful to that confusion but I just really want him to be able to sleep.

I give him a small smile and he stares at me for a second before shaking his head.

"You know, I better not. I've got some work to do and.." He begins.

"It's fine. Really." I interrupt and open the car door to escape my embarrassment.

I shouldn't have done that, I'm supposed to be distancing myself and here I am being rejected.. again.

When I reach the door I remember I forgot my dress and heels in Hardin's car but he's already out of the driveway by the time I turn around.

My mind replays our date over and over as I wipe the makeup from my face. He was so..nice. Hardin was nice. He was dressed up and he didn't get in a fight, he didn't even curse anyone out. This is major progress. I begin to giggle like an idiot as I remember him falling on the ice, he was so irritated but it was so funny to watch him fall. He's so tall and lanky and his legs kept wobbling in the skates, it was definitely one of the funniest things that I have ever seen.