epilogue pt. 1

"are you sure you'll be okay in there on your own?" adrian asks, concern evident in his voice.

i give him a small, reassuring smile, "i'll be fine. i just need to pack up all of my things."

"alright. give me a call and i'll be up to help you get your things."

"it might take a while." i murmur. "but thanks for taking me here."

"no problem. i like having you as a roommate." he grins. "i'll grab something to eat while i wait for you."

i nod my head at his words and get up, heading into the apartment complex. i don't know how long it'll take me to gather all of my belongings. pushing the thought aside, i head up to the room and intake a deep breath when i stand before it.

i fish my keys out of my purse and place it into the lock. it feels like it's been so long since i've been here when it's only been about two weeks. i open the door, praying that jack isn't home.

when i enter, i don't hear moaning. good sign. i don't see any girl in the kitchen. another good sign. and it's completely and utterly silent. these are great signs. maybe he isn't home after all.

i set my bag on the kitchen counter and head toward my room to get my things. my heart stops when i see a body sprawled out on the couch. the coffee table is filled with empty alcohol bottles and my eyes widen.

"sam, how the fuck did you get in?" jack grumbles, his arm still over his eyes, making me stop in my tracks.

damn creaky floor will makes noise if i try and continue to my room. i press my lips together in fear and he shuffles on the couch a bit. he looks like a mess. messier than the living room right now.

the scene looks like a teenage boy who hasn't left his room in ten years. filled will trash and it's super dirty.

"sam?" jack calls out again in confusion.

why the hell am i standing here like an idiot?! when i don't answer, he removes his arm in alarm and looks around. jack makes intense eye contact with me and blinks, as if processing what's in front of him.

"nova." he breathes, immediately standing from the couch.

"i didn't come here to fight." i hold my hands up in surrender. "i just came to get my things and i'll be on my way. i'll send you a check for the remaining rent." i rush out.

it actually hurts to see him again.

he stares at me bewildered, "you're not here to come back? i didn't want to fight with you."

i shake my head, "i'm sorry, jack."

why am i apologizing? after what he told me at my dads funeral, i've been thinking about it nonstop. does everyone deserve a second chance?

"if you're sorry, you wouldn't leave me permanently. i've been waiting here day and night hoping for you to come back." he runs his hand through his hair in frustration.

"you can't say things like that! yes, i am sorry for leaving you, but are you sorry? for cheating on me?"

"i'm so sorry. you know this, nova." he sighs. "i don't want to fight with you, baby."

i wince at his endearment. he's making this so hard on me. harder than it needs to be.

"stay with me, please." he begs.

"how do i know that the moment i turn my back, you won't be in bed with another chick?" i retort.

"you have to believe me when i say i'm sorry. i didn't mean to hurt you." he frowns, coming closer to me.

i step back and he stops in his place, hurt flashing across his face. i don't want him to come any closer to me. especially when i feel like i'm going to bawl any second.

"don't go, nova. if you leave, i won't know what to do with myself. you keep me grounded. you tell me when i'm being a pain in the ass or too cocky and i better myself for you."

by the end of that, i don't even realize that tears are starting to fall. i want to jump into his arms, but at the same time, i have to stand my ground and not give in so easily. he needs to prove that he's changed.

"are you with adrian now? is that it?" he asks, his voice shaky and rigid like his own words are making him angry.

my eyebrows pull together and i shake my head, "no."

adrian is more of a brother to me now. as weird as that sounds. i know he still has a crush on me, but i don't take it further than just hugs with him.

"i can't afford to get my heart broken again, jack. i just need to be assured that you won't betray me again." i tell him.

"and i'll prove myself to you. i've told you this." he quietly replies. "i love you so much."

"i need time, too." i try to reason.

"you had two weeks. those two weeks with another man while i was stuck being miserable knowing that my girlfriend hates me."

he's trying to make me feel bad and i'm starting to cave in.

"i was miserable too, and the girl you slept with wasn't very nice." my eyebrows pull together.

"i know you're heartbroken by me and your father. i want nothing more than to hold you and be by your side. believe me, if we weren't so young and still in college, i'd be on a bended knee."

"we haven't even known each other that long."

"we've known each other longer enough. to the point where i know that you hate when i jump on your bed and when i unplug your straightener while you're doing your hair. you hate pink peeps and prefer the blue ones because they taste different to you."

he continues, "you'd rather go out and explore than sit in bed all day. you like cookie dough ice cream and i hate it, but i get it for you. you really hate when i never wash my dishes and you also hate when i drink your juice boxes."

i frown, "because they're mine."

jack's lips lift into a small smile, "you like buying clothes, but hate walking around to shop for it. that you put half of your clothes into my closet because it doesn't fit into yours-"

"okay, i get it cheeseball. you have impeccable memory." i say, wiping my tears with the back of my hand.

"if that isn't enough proof, i will continue to prove myself."

"this is so hard." i whisper.

"this is not hard." he shakes his head. "you just need to tell me that we'll still be together and we'll both be put at ease. i'll always be at best for you."

"your promise that you won't hurt me again?"

"i promise, baby. i'd die before hurting you again."

"okay, i trust you."

before i can even comprehend his reaction, his arms around me in a tight hug. he showers my face with kisses like he hasn't seen me in decades.

{vote, comment, share}

this is just part one! part two will have a time skip. just letting you all know so you don't freak out. and for everyone saying this is so cliche, you're reading a fanfic what do you expect :/