Twenty Four -Sealed with a Kiss

(Wren Speaking)

My head was swimming. Even though my mind kept telling me we just met, I felt like I'd known him forever. He could be so infuriating one moment and incredibly sweet the next. When he glanced up, his eyes were glowing catching the moonlight coming in through the blindsthey were the perfect shade of sky blue.

I bit my lip and wrapped my arms around my knees. "Wow, I never thought... Well, of course, you have the— What I mean is it never occurred to me that anyone has that kind of money. But I guess that comes with being King. Huh?"

"First," he said correcting me. He sat up and brushed my hair out my face. His fingers tickled my neck sending shivers down the back of my arms. Then leaning in, he caressed the side of my neck, placing tiny little kisses all the way up to my ear. "I knew it wasn't going to be easy coming after you. It's just that I never thought it was going to be so hard not having you around over the past few years. The days ticked by, torturing me with the memory of you, like a dream that might have been—slowly driving me crazy."

Then his lips skimmed mine, tasting them like he wanted to be sure I was real. A tender honesty lingered in his kiss. But it was his hunger for more that hummed through us. The emotional connection between us was so intense I could feel his desire. When I ran my tongue along the inside of his mouth, he groaned and pulled away, dropping the link between us.

"God, stop. I can't take it."

"What?"

"You— You need to figure out what you want," he answered, rolling onto his back. "I think it's obvious how I feel." His hand washed over his face and turned over to face me.

Not even realizing it, I had wrapped the edge of the sheet around my hand and was picking at an invisible frayed hem with my fingers. I wet my lips, in thought. My memories continued to evade me like smoke, ever present but not solid enough to grab on to. Deep down in my gut, I knew he was telling the truth about everything. I took a full breath in and let it out, "It's just that—"

"It's complicated?" He finished my sentence, catching me off guard. "No, it's not." He picked up my hand and interlaced our fingers together. "You either feel the same way about me, or you don't."

"That's not the probl—" I paused. Shocked at what I almost blurted out. Slowly raising my eyes from my hands, my breath hitched when our eyes met. Kellan was leaning on his elbow, resting his head in his hand, smirking.

"Just figure something out?" he said, kissing the back of my hand.

"Yeah, only that you're utterly intolerable."

"Well, you've known that for years. But I don't think that was what you were going to say," he said with confidence. "You're in love with me."

"You only wish you were hot enough for that to happen," I said, looking away, dropping my gaze to rest on the patchwork quilt.