Chapter 19: Meeting The Past

The sun shone brightly as the morning greeted the early risers of the earth. It's a good day for those who were looking forward to their day, but today was much gloomier compared to any other day for the other Machiavelli's household.

Maria stood by the sink as she busied herself by washing the pots and pans that were used to cook the family's breakfast for the day. Last night was tiring, but she'd not complain even once after she had seen how Nikolei had broken down on the harsh cold floor in the middle of the night after he found out the mistakes he made for listening to the grudge and jealousy riled up in him for years.

The time almost struck eight in the morning and neither the father nor the son had come down for breakfast yet. When they found out that Gayle had been standing at the door that night, she was terribly concerned that the boy might have eavesdropped on her and Nikolei's conversation. Her concern got worst when Gayle left the room silently, with a dark look evident in both his eyes when he stared his father down before he went and tucked himself to bed.

She continued to wash the remaining dirty dishes and stared outside the window when Gayle who was dressed in his school uniform walked into the kitchen. His face was grim. No 'good morning' smile as usual. Just silence. He pulled out the bar stool and got onto it. Maria wiped her hands clean before serving a plate of pancakes in front of him and poured a tall glass of milk.

Still, silence.

Gayle silently ate his breakfast and sipped his milk from time to time. Never once did he glance up from the plate in front of him. His head was always held down. Fiddling her fingers, Maria stood still watching him eat with a soft creased on her eyebrows. Her mouth gaped slightly, waiting for the words to lunge out from her throat but they never did.

Softly, she emanated a breath of quivering sigh. Her gaze softened, "Gayle, sweetheart."

Gayle looked up from his breakfast as he zeroed in on Maria who stood just opposite of him across the marble counter. His gaze was cold, one of the many things he inherited from his father. When his eyes reached hers, Gayle's mouth had stopped chewing and calculatingly waited for her to continue the conversation.

His left brow shot up rather impassively while he propped up his chin onto the palm of his right hand.

"Gayle," She said hesitantly, tilting her head to the side slightly as she tried to find the words jumbled up in her head. "About last night-"

Before she could complete her sentence, Gayle cut her. "What is it, Maria? Is there something you wanted to tell me?"

"Look, Gayle. Anything and every thing that you heard last night, don't blame it on your father. He's innocent as much as Alex is." She explained. "You know Alex wouldn't want you to hold grudge and take it on your father. Not now, not ever."

Gayle looked down, playing with the last chunk of pancake on his plate. One corner of his lips tugged upwards slightly, a sad smile appeared on his small lips.

He huffed softly, "I'm not mad. Never was. Although I'm sad that mom was gone now, I still need my dad to help me stand up straight in life until she comes back. I know she will... because she's my mom. Besides, she promised me to bring home a princess, didn't she?"

Both of them chuckled happily. The tension in the air was torn away and was replaced with a tad bit of joy. The room that felt gloomy in first place was no longer depressing as it felt the first time she stepped in the kitchen that morning. Gayle had a small grin on his face, showing her his perfectly pearl white teeth.

"You know, for a kid whose age is six, you talk like a matured young man. Alex must be proud of you if she was here right now, and so is your mother." Maria stated. "Give your father some time to bounce back. He'll get through it, I'm sure. The Machiavellis always do."