Chapter 26- Flourish [Vikk]

The village is dressed for celebration. Flags line the streets, colourful garlands hung above every door.

We await their arrival.

This is the day when our worlds come together.

When we can live free.

The joyful expectancy has an edge to it, though.

We can't forget.

We can't forget Lachlan.

We can't forget Bee and Lizzie and Kara.

Pete hasn't left his house since we returned. He hasn't spoken a word to anyone.

Preston is living in the shadows, talking to only Rob.

I stay up at the clock tower, feet dangling over the edge with the image of Lachlan's smile in my mind.

But today we're going to stand, all sixteen of us, and wait for the otherworlders.

It's noon. Fifteen villagers, my friends, stand in the market square. I'm up by the bell.

Choco looks up to me, up to my safe point in the sky.

And he nods.

So I pull on the ropes, and the bell's melody fills the air; crystal clear chimes.

There's a bright flash of white, and everything seems to stop for a moment.

And then they're here.

They emerge from the trees, at least twenty other groups.

So many people. They come in various states of wellbeing; some are barely able to walk, covered in scratch marks and bruises. Some come dressed in rags. Many wear just normal clothes.

And we welcome them.

Gives them food, a place to stay.

They're confused. Scared.

But the village is their home now.

Now that we're free.

I stay, sitting by the bell, scanning the village for any sign of him. There's look-a-likes.

I can't count the amount of times I've felt my heart lift up, and then sink back down into my chest, when I realise that no, that's not him.

I should know, really, that he isn't coming back.

He died after the gems were destroyed.

Of course he won't come back.

By the time the sun has long passed below the horizon, everyone has settled down, warm yellow light reaching out from under doorways and behind drawn curtains.

And I stay up here in the sky, lost in my own idle hope.

Somewhere at the back of my mind I can feel the voice of who I was before.

He wants me stay clinging onto that hope, because without it, I am an empty person.

Without Lachlan, I am no longer who I once was.

When the silver moon is high above me and the wind sends shivers down my spine, I stand up, trailing ghost-like fingers across the stone wall.

Then I turn my back on the clock tower, and drift down the staircase.

I open the door.

Step out into the night.

Take one step, then another.

And then they pick up speed and I am running and I'm running and I can't stop and tears are falling down my cheeks and I've left myself behind.

And I stop.

And I turn back.

And I call his name.

Just once.

I call his name.

And the earth hears me.

And the sky hears me.

And far away in a mountain that once glowed green, I know he can hear me.

And I close my eyes.