Chapter 5

Enjoy the chapter! <3

•••

"YOU FOWL, LOATHSOME, CHEATING BI-"

"Watch it, Jordan!" McGonagall interrupts in a stern voice.

"I mean, after that clearly revolting foul-"

"Jordan, I'm warning you-" McGonagall growls.

"Alright, alright, Flint nearly murders the Ravenclaw Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I guess..."

I feel a tap on my shoulder, and I look up from my book. "Jen, how the hell can you read while Lee's screaming?" Josefina questions.

"Because I have an essay due tomorrow that I haven't started." I say, and tap a finger against the notebook propped open on my knee. "It's compensation for over-procrastination."

Josefina scoffs and turns her attention back to the game. I, on the other hand, train my eyes back at my book.

Draco's POV -

It's the first Quidditch game of the year, and it seems like there are twice the usual amount of people here.

I'm circling the top of the pitch, watching Blaise as he hurtles bludger after bludger towards the Ravenclaw chasers. My eyes scan the area below me for that familiar glint of gold, but the movement and noise of the crowd is distracting.

Before I can stop myself, my eyes are raking the Slytherin student section for a familiar red head - one that I could spot from a mile away.

It doesn't take me long to pick her out amongst the crowd.

Jennifer. My heart momentarily spasms.

Focus, I say to myself sternly. I try to tear my eyes away from her, but I can't bring myself to do it. I just want to keep staring.

Suddenly, Lee's emphatic voice is blundering throughout the stadium.

"THE RAVENCLAW SEEKER APPEARS TO HAVE SPOTTED THE SNITCH!!! SHE'S GOING FOR IT-"

I stop listening at that very moment, snap my broom toward the ground, and plummet towards Cho.

I'm gaining on her, and quickly. I can see the snitch now, tiny and glimmering. I stretch out a gloved hand. Suddenly, I'm level with her, and then, I'm ahead of her. The wind is tearing past my face, my eyes stinging and muscles flaming with exhilaration. The small ball is right ahead of me.

Then, I close my fist and hurdle towards the ground. At the last moment, I yank the handle of my broomstick upwards.

The crowd has gone quiet - everyone simultaneously holds their breath. When I see the delicate wings poking out between my fingers, I punch my fist into the air. A ripple of screams turns into an enormous wave of cheers. The Ravenclaw section is roaring with boos, but it doesn't bother me.

My eyes dart over towards the Slytherin student section again, where I know Jennifer is sitting. She's still staring down at her book, oblivious to my big play.

I feel a ping of disappointment in my chest. Why wasn't she watching?

-