Chapter 46

The lights burned my eyes when I woke up and everything was moving. Hands were placed all around my body and voices instructed them what to do.

That's about the time it hit me.

And by it I mean the intense pain I was currently experiencing. A burning sensation covered my body. Biting back a scream I tried lifting my head to see what they were doing. An authoritative voice tried to tell me something but it was lost on me as I saw the wounds covering my body.

There was so much blood.

Two nurses were currently cleaning the wounds down my legs and lower torso; probably why it felt like I was burning. A gloved hand tried to gently push me back on the table, but the mere contact sent sharp pain to every part of my body. I couldn't stop that scream. Doors swung open and more doctors entered to assist the one currently trying to direct the nurses.

I looked to my left out of habit and saw him standing there with a snakelike grin on his face. Ra's al Ghul stood among the growing chaos of doctors. My chest tightened, the lights in the room growing dangerously bright before exploding in a shower of glass.

Darkness filled the room for only a moment before a sickly yellow and green emergency light flashed on. Ra's stood closer and he put a hand on my own.

"Do not worry, Katrina. I will take care of you."

Fear gripped my heart and I screamed once more while the Demon laughed. Doctors and nurses lay around the room covered in glass with pounding hearts or unconscious. The machines I was hooked to were fried beyond repair. But it was the commotion and collective fear coming from the hallway that really made me aware of what I'd done.

I had hurt even more people. Again. Because I couldn't control what I could do.

The Demon was no longer in the room when he entered. I was vaguely aware of him calling my name and coming to my side as I stared at the ceiling tiles. It felt like an electric shock when he grazed the back of my hand. My eyes fell upon a distraught Tim Drake.

"Tim?" My voice was harsh and it cracked on the single syllable. He took that as his invitation and stepped closer, enclosing my hand in his.

"It's okay. I'm here. You're home. You're safe." His voice was soft as was his touch.

I just stared at him, soaking up every detail. His eyes were red and glassy, tears running down his cheeks. His shoulders did not shake and his lips were curled in a soft smile.

"You stayed." The cracking got worse.

A few nurses were standing now, watching me cautiously while debating whether it was worth trying to finish their jobs or escape now. Tim let out a short laugh that almost turned into a sob.

"Of course I stayed."

He held my hand lightly while the doctors began their work once more. It took about twenty minutes, I think, and then I was moved into one of the nicer rooms with the bed that reclines when you touch a button on the remote. Tim sat in the stiff little plastic chair by my bed while we watched the early morning news.

"It was reported that late last night Gotham's Katrina Wayne was found and returned by none other than Lex Luthor. Lex had been kidnapped nearly a day before his return with the girl who is rumored to have been in a state near to death."

"We don't have to listen to this, Kat." Tim yawned and stretched a little. He faced me with an easy smile.

"I know, I know." Lifting the remote I pressed the power button and the screen went black. "I'll find out what they're saying sooner or later." I closed my eyes for a moment to try and not focus on how that encounter would go. "Hey," I opened my right eye and looked at Tim. "How did you get into the operating room?"

"Ah, well, Gordon was leading me back there to meet with your doctor before you started screaming."

"You mean blowing things up. Was anyone hurt? Did the machines turn off on anyone that needed them?"

"No." His tone got serious again. Tim faced me head on and frowned. "That wasn't your fault either."

"Bullshit Tim. Everything shut down because-"

"You were in pain. Pain that is not your fault." His hands found my right one and gripped tight. "Kat this is not your fault."

"Tim," I sighed, pulling my hand from his. "You don't know me as well as you think. You barely knew me before, but you trusted me and I cannot explain to you what that meant to me. What it means to me now."

I turned my head to the right so that I could properly look at him. I saw the Demon standing behind his right shoulder.

"So trust me when I say that it would entirely be my fault."

Tim didn't answer, but he did look away toward the door.

"Bruce said he'd be here soon. I bet he got stopped by Vale or Ryder."

"Yeah," I snorted. "The big bad reporters have captured my godfather. I'll believe that when I see it."

---I know it's been months, I'm so sorry about that. College is just really really demanding and I have barely any time to work on this. I know this chapter is super short but it's been done for a few months and it'll do a lot more posted shorter than anticipated than waiting for a few more pages to be written. Thank you so much to those of you who've followed me since the beginning and have been supporting me all the way. I cannot even begin to stress how important you guys are to me and how much of an impact you've had on my writing and my confidence. To those of you who've just joined or are on and off again readers, I extend love to you guys for your enthusiasm in the absence of my own.  You guys are the reason I'm keeping Kat going. As always Enjoy You Day ----SNE