1:08

[ THE RISE: CHAPTER EIGHT ]

Rhea, Davina and Kol were walking through the woods in a desperate search for Mikael, while Kol was giving them information on dark objects. Davina had been reluctant to trust him, but Rhea assured her that if he were to betray them again— she would be the one to do something about it.

"Bleeding power from a dark object is tricky, so it does help to know what kind of object it is." Kol informed the two, he hadn't left Rhea's side once— and his hand was aching to reach out and entangle it with her own, but he feared rejection would slap him in the face.

"The white oak stake." Rhea stated, Kol let out a patronising laugh.

"You want to drain the white oak stake, do you?" He turned to Davina, "Please tell me she's joking." Davina shook her head in return, causing Kol to return his gaze to Rhea— he was sure she had gone mad.

"It's a dark object Kol, if we can't stop Mikael. We have to stop that stake from working. I made Davina a promise that her friends wouldn't get killed, I intend to keep that promise." That was a dig at Kol and he knew it, once upon a time they had promised never to lie or betray each other— now was the first time it had ever been broken.

"You see, usually I like it when you get all ambitious on me, Rhea, but this is just beyond mad." Rhea's patience was wearing thin so she halted and grabbed ahold of Kol's arm to make sure his attention was on the situation at hand.

"Just show me the spell Kaleb!" She paused, realising her mistake, letting go of his arm. The atmosphere was tense within seconds, "Kol, or whoever you are these days." Strike two within minutes? Each dig at him was hurting him more and more, but being Kol Mikaelson, he couldn't show that— no matter how much he may have changed, there was still a small part of him that held onto his pride.

"Just tell us, please." Davina asked nicely, trying to defuse the situation before it got aggressive.

"The problems not the spell, girls. It's the white oak stake. It's too powerful, you can't just drain it. Best you can hope for is to disable it, but just for a bit." He walked towards his car, Davina looked at Rhea with a raised brow.

"Is he always so cryptic?"

"Unfortunately, yes he is."

The two witches joined Kol by his car, "So do you have a better solution? Because I don't have time to listen to the two of you bicker, so show us the spell." Davina spoke up.

"And hand me the keys." Rhea added, Kol looked at the two amused, "And what are you going to do? Just drive around until you bump into them?"

Rhea rolled her eyes, but secretly— she was suppressing the urge to laugh at his question.

"You may have messed with the bracelet, Kol. But we made sure months ago that we would always be able to find Mikael."

"Alright, fine. Your girls' funeral." He then looked to Rhea, "I'm still not going to allow you to drive me bloody car though."

"Can you even drive?" Kol ignored Rhea's question, getting into the car.

Looking over to Davina, Rhea sighed, "Let's go."