Chapter 27

Bill led Dipper deep into the forest, not entirely worried about getting lost. He knew his way around the whole forest like the back of his hand. "I'm taking you to my favorite spot in the forest. It's a surprise but you'll love it!"

Breathing in the relaxingly familiar scent of woodland air, Dipper grinned. "Wherever it is, I'm sure it's great! I'm so excited. I haven't been out here for forever!" He suddenly felt energized, sprinting around a few trees and jumping over a bush as he turned back to meet Bill. He was beaming and panting once he reached him.

Bill laughed, feeling his own burst of energy. He was happy to be back out here too. It felt like it had been an eternity since he had visited the woods in reality. It was really nice. "Someone's excited! But look. There it is." Bill pointed up ahead. Two huge willow trees with long leaves that touched the ground stood blocking the rest of the path.

Bill stepped toward the trees and pushed his way through the dangling leaves and branches. It was an enchanted, small grove, formerly obscured by the willow trees. A small pond and creek glowed, surrounded by tall pines, making a kind of cave around them. Bits of sunlight filtered down through the trees. There were wildflowers of all kinds and colors and glowing mushrooms dotted parts of the area. "Welcome to the Magic Grove. It's the most mythical part of the forest in Gravity Falls."

"Woah," Dipper said in a hushed voice, looking around in awe. It was a place so beautiful that he could believe it was enchanted, just like the forests from the old fairy-tales he'd read to his sister before bed. He didn't stray into the area, though, sticking by Bill's side. Tranquil or not, it was dangerous to waltz right into the unknown without having the knowledge behind it or a plan in case things went wrong. Explorer's etiquette.

"This is such a . . . happy place. Makes me feel warm inside. And kind of tingly." Speaking of tingly, he thought he might sneeze. Because all those flowers sure released a lot of pollen. Nope. No. Forget it. He held his breath and the feeling seemed to ebb away. But then it came back. He released his famous kitten-like sneeze into the air beside him, blushing afterwards, an embarrassed heat rising within him. "E-excuse me?"

Bill chuckled softly. The sound was so cute along with the boy's embarrassment. "Sneezing like a kitten, are we?" he teased. "Actually, I don't think I've ever heard a kitten sneeze." Bill made a thoughtful face. "I know I've heard them meow, whine, scream and die in painful ways, but I'm not sure about sneezing." The demon shrugged the matter aside, focusing on the area around them. He stepped up to the pond, looking down at his reflection in the water. The yellow vest over the white shirt that was accompanied by his usual bow tie looked flawless on him. The blond's disheveled hair added a nice touch, the top hat resting gently on his head. "They say this water can turn regular fish into mermaids. And it has magical properties such as the ability to heal and give immortality."

Dipper stood beside him, eyes wide as he took it all in. He could see his blush still lingering in his reflection, which made him blush harder. Just great. "That's crazy awesome. What happens if someone touches it? Or drinks it?" he inquired, tapping his chin thoughtfully, curiosity and intrigue powering his intellect once more, a familiar feeling. Once he might have imagined Bill's favorite spot in the forest to be one of horror and torturous beasts, though now it didn't even cross his mind. He trusted the former triangle to keep him safe.

"No humans have ever really found this place so I'm not sure what it would do to you. Maybe immortality or healing or even grant you magical abilities." Bill just shrugged and sat down on a rock. "It's guarded from most humans. You're lucky you got through the barrier." Bill pointed his finger back at the willow trees. "If you look carefully and closely you might be able to see it."

Dipper had to do a double-take, still standing by the water's edge. What? Really? It looked entirely normal to him. Aside from the obvious change in the landscape. And maybe it explained the tingly sensation. He turned his gaze to meet the blond's, licking his dry lips all of a sudden. "So the barrier . . . protects this from humans? Then how was I allowed to pass? And you're human too, aren't you? Now, at least."