45 You're What We've Been Waiting For

Fanart from a234629

Fanart from a234629

Erik~~

Iris's uncle sits across from me in his bunker, a table all that separates us. It's only me and him.

"Well?"

I knead the tops of my thighs, trying to work out the anxiety that buzzes through me.

"You said you'd spill the Society's secret, now tell me about the aliens."

"Why, are you so convinced it's aliens?"

"A computer couldn't predict the date of someone's death and be right every time. My niece excluded."

I can't expect to hurt the Society if I don't get hurt too. I just didn't expect to have to do it to myself. "They're called Amoris."

Eyes gleaming, Thomas leans forward. "How do they know our Expiration Dates?"

I shift in my seat. "By looking into your eyes, but only the ones who are fully Amorian have the ability."

"So that means they've bred with humans?"

"They married humans. You make them sound like animals." My hands tighten into fists. I may not be fully Amorian, but I am closer to being one than a human. "Besides for knowing Expiration Dates and their eyes, they're basically human."

"What's wrong with their eyes?"

"Nothing is wrong with their eyes. They're purple. Various shades but all purple."

Thomas presses his pen against his lip. "We'll need some as proof. Preferably more than one."

"What would you do with them?"

"Show them to Elleany and then the world." A sideshow exhibit. He'd put them in cases and let people tap on the glass. "We'd have to test their DNA first, otherwise everyone would say they're wearing contacts."

"But we really just need Jonas."

He lowers the pen. "If we're going to take down the Society, our plan cannot rely on one person. You aren't having qualms about it, are you?"

The Amoris are my family, and no matter how much I hate them, the thought of them being displayed as exhibits to be stared and prodded at makes me nauseous. "No," I force out. "I'm committed."

"Good," he says and cracks his knuckles. I flinch. "Anya told me about their idea. I've reached out to the Rosens. If they agree, a small team will ride in with them. Once the lights in the Estate have been shut off, the team will capture the Preeminence and two Amoris."

"How do you plan to capture them?"

"We have a device that will quickly put them to sleep. Two people should be enough to

carry each prisoner."

If we escape in the Rosenss car, they'll know who helped us. "We'd have to leave in a Society van."

"Does the Society put trackers on their vehicles?"

"Only on some. The ones they care about."

"Will you be any help in shutting off the lights?"

"With some help, I can get into their system and control which lights are shut off to draw the least amount of attention. Shutting off the security cameras would be the fastest way to get the alarm pulled on us."

"It sounds like you've done this before."

"The Preeminence's sister and I used to be bored a lot as children."

"We'll iron out a plan, but we'll need to act soon. The Society won't expect us to make a move so soon after our last one, but that window will close soon."

This is what's right for the country. I force my shoulders to relax. What's right for Molly.

Molly.

If it would bring her back, I'd burn all of my plans. I'd let Elleany fall into ruin to see her alive.

"You're what we've been waiting for, Erik. With you on our side we'll finally win."

But Molly will still be dead.