Chapter 44 - [Last Act of Kindness and the Pharaoh]

We were victorious. At least, that was what I deemed us to be. With the sight of the burning ships belonging to the People of the Sea as well as the hundreds of soldiers we had arrested as prisoners of war, the only conclusion I could possibly come to was that we were victorious.

But I couldn't deny that something felt off.

In some ways, this entire battle felt too easy. Of course, we had lost a couple lives, but not nearly as many as would have happened if the People of the Sea had won this battle.

I sat in my tent, stroking my beardless chin while deep in thought.

Maybe there would be a second wave of soldiers. I thought. Or a spy within our own ranks?

My thoughts had consumed my mind, making it easy to not notice Khamenatem rush into the tent.

"Brother!" He called loudly, surprising me.

When I looked at him, I was forced to let out a small smile to in some ways reciprocate the grin he had on his face.

He put down onto the desk in front of me one of the two jugs of beer that I didn't realize he was holding. "Let us celebrate this victory!"

I found myself hesitating, and he noticed my hesitation.

"What is it, brother?" He asked, sitting in the seat in front of me. "Are you not happy?"

I took a deep breath, "didn't this all seem too easy, Khamen?"

He raised an eyebrow.

"The wizard had planned so much, he gave me so much trouble, only for me to fix it all by winning this battle with such ease?"

"Maybe he simply underestimated the power of our army, brother."

I shook my head. "I do not think we should demobilize yet. I think we should stay here for a little longer," I looked down at the beer he brought for me, "and I think we should maintain our senses in case we need to make sudden decisions."

Khamenatem looked a little disappointed, however, he also looked like he understood. "You were right the first time, brother... so I shall take your word this time too," he said. "Shall I inform the men to hold back on their celebrations?"

I nodded, "yes."

"I will allow them to know that Pharaoh promises to reward them with double the alcohol once it's all over," he winked as he stood up, holding both the jugs of beer again.

I smiled, but decided not to say no to that.

The men deserved it.

Plus, once this was all over... I think I deserved it too. Though, maybe not double. Quadruple sounds better.

Enough to finally relax a little and pass out in drunkenness.

I think I deserved that much.

And just as Khamenatem turned around to leave, we were both startled by the sound of rumbling and the sudden shaking of the land.

I stood up as Khamenatem dropped both the jugs in surprise. He turned to face me with wide eyes but as the shaking ended, we both stared while the sky suddenly darkened.

A commotion erupted outside the tent and Khamenatem shook his head in disbelief. "Brother, I always deemed you to be intelligent... but this is... you were right. You must truly be some sort of god–"