Chap. 61

I ended up pacing the floor of my dorm room, my stomach twisted into knots.

Tomorrow was the day of the trial. Or today technically. But I couldn't sleep to save my life.

I couldn't stop my thoughts from constantly racing. And I felt nauseated at the very thought of the trial.

I braced my hands against the metal frame of my bed, letting my head dip low.

I couldn't call Parker. He'd been sleeping what was considered well for him, and I didn't want to be the one to break that streak.

I was almost certain I was going to puke though.

I pulled on a pair of sweats over my boxers and my converse, leaving my dorm and heading downstairs.

"And where are you going at 12:00 in the morning?" Dylan questioned, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Anywhere but here," I answered, signing myself out.

I put that I was going to Java Chip, even though I had no intention of actually going.

"Be careful," Dylan advised, and I nodded before leaving my dorm building, stepping out into the crisp night air.

I took in a deep breath, hoping it help clear my head and alleviate my nausea.

As I continued down the walk, I saw a familiar brunette sitting outside, her camera hanging around her neck as she sat criss-cross on the sidewalk.

McKenna glanced up at me as I took a seat next to her, the two of us sitting in silence.

"So what brings you out here on this fine night?" I asked, glancing over at her.

"Bad dream," she answered, quietly. "Just thought I could use some fresh air for a bit."

I reached out and wrapped my arm around her, and she buried her head into the crook of my neck, letting out a sigh of content.

"What about you?" she asked me, quietly.

"Couldn't sleep."

"Thinking about the trial?"

I just hummed in agreement.

The two of us sat there together as the night wore on, enjoying the calming presence of one another's company.

Eventually at some point we ended up lying side-by-side out in the courtyard, staring up at the sky.

"You have nothing to be afraid of," McKenna promised.

"Easy to say."

"Parker wouldn't let you do this if he thought you'd be in any danger doing so."

"Parker has to make sacrifices too," I pointed out. "He wouldn't want to put me at risk, but he also wants to win the case as well. He's put a lot into this to come this far and lose it all at the end."

We lapsed into silence, the weight of the world weighing down on my shoulders as the starry night sky stared back down at me.

I glanced over at McKenna, who was studying the sky with a pensive expression as well.

"I know we're not technically together," I stated, quietly.

She glanced over at me, a curious expression on her face.

"But do you think you could come to the trial tomorrow?"

She reached over and grasped my hand in hers, running her thumb over the back of my hand before bringing it up to her mouth, kissing the back of it, offering me a slight nod.