II. Chapter 22 | Part 2 - Stone

This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Soulmates didn't hurt each other like this.

Even though Stone believed he was doing the right thing for Aubree—for both of them—he still wound up hurting her.

He wanted to have faith in whatever message he would receive from the Spirit Walker, but faith was something he lacked the moment Adelaide was taken from him.

Hope was something he couldn't invest his heart in.

Perhaps he was wrong to deny Aubree that same hope, but he couldn't bear the thought of seeing her crushed after hoping for the best when what they had right now was as good as it was going to get.

What if this was it? The constant tension between them, unable to fully seal the matebond, and slowly driving each other crazy, hurting each other over and over again.

There had to be a way of controlling it. Of controlling himself.

With protection, they could still fulfill their physical needs without getting pregnant.

If he could just stop himself from marking her...

What if he couldn't give her the pups she wanted? What if she changed her mind and didn't want to be with him? He didn't want to give up on her, but if she couldn't be truly happy with him, then what right did he have to have her by his side?

He could feel her every emotion leaking through her skin when he touched her. The pain and anger festered so deep within, it hurt him to know that he had done this to her. Worst of all, he didn't know how he could fix it.

Pressing his forehead gently to hers, he inhaled her tainted scent as he brushed his fingers through her hair. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "You're right. I took away your hopes and dreams, and I shouldn't have. I don't want to see your heart break."

"I'm a big girl, Stone. I can handle it."

If it weren't for the hurt still leaking through his touch, he would have smiled a little.

"I don't know what to do."

"I don't know either," she said.

"Do you want to be with me?"

She nodded. There was no hesitation there, and that filled him with relief. There was still hope. If he could hope for anything, it would be her. He had to put his faith in her.

His head was aching. His body needed sleep, but he didn't want to leave her like this.

Sensing his weariness, she pulled away but held onto his hand as she turned to go up the stairs. He followed her up to their room, drew the heavy drapes closed over the window, and climbed into the bed together. They held each other in silence. The sunlight blotted out, but there was still enough light for both of them to see each other.

His eyelids began to droop and he closed them as he listened to the steady beating of her heart.

"I know you mean well, but at least let me hope that there is a possibility we can have children," she said. "What exactly is it that makes humans die giving birth to lycan babies?"

He huffed lightly. Clearly, she wasn't ready to give up on this topic yet. Not that he had any answers. "I don't know. I've been trying to reach the only lycan I know who might have some answers, but Amora is nowhere to be found."

He couldn't go to the Council either. Chances were, they wouldn't know since there was no known case of a lycan's soulmate being human. Their automatic response would be to forcibly end their bond—whatever that may entail.