Chapter 36: Round One

It took ten minutes to get to my seat. The place was packed full of people and it was difficult to not glower at anyone who looked my direction. Fortunately, I didn't see Daniel or any of his friends. Him I especially didn't want to see.

Pretty soon, the Contest rules were being explained by someone with the title of "Master of Ceremonies" whose name was Vivian Meridian. "Alright, ladies and gentlemen, the Contest is about to start! First off, let me introduce you to our judges. Please give a big hand for Mr. Contesta, Mr. Sukizo, and Nurse Joy of our very own Verdanturf!" 

A big roar from the crowd came up. I wished I'd brought ear plugs. 

"Now, remember, first up is the Appeals round. Coordinators and their Pokemon will be judged based on their beauty and talent! The eight Coordinators with the highest scores will move on to the Battle round. Coordinators will be allowed to change Pokemon for different rounds and battles thanks to a special change of rules to liven things up. Without future ado, let the best Coordinator win! Good luck to you all!" 

I tapped my fingers along my armrest as I watched different Coordinators come out with their Pokemon. It truly was interesting, at least, to watch.  

The first girl sent out a Xatu who used Future Sight, then Wish and Night Shade, making it look like shooting stars were cascading everywhere in the stadium, a purple aura trailing the stars from the Night Shade, reminding me of an ominous version of the Northern Lights. After a minute of this, Future Sight took effect and the stars exploded, sending imaginary glittering dust throughout the crowd. 

A boy with a Golem used Rock Polish and Defense Curl, making its hard rocky body a shiny silver color before using Roll Out and then spinning like a top in the air with Gyro Ball. The next contestant had their Floatzel use Aqua Jet, flying around the field before swerving suddenly, forming a Whirlpool. It dove in and out of the top, using Ice Fang to freeze the surface waves in place. It didn't look like it had gone the way it had been intended to and didn't get as much applause from the crowd. 

With a pang of disgust, I saw Kenny come to the stage next. He was wearing an Arceus awful green suit. Since when were suits even made green? He seemed extremely confident, his tail coat swishing as he sent out his Empoleon. 

The Empoleon spun using Drill Peck and used Hydro Pump at the same time, sending water everywhere. It looked like a dark black rocket soaring around before landing in the middle of the stage. Everyone clapped except for me as I sunk lower into my seat, arms crossed and not impressed by an oversized sprinkler. 

My attention wavered slightly until Zoey came out. She used her Leafeon. It used Double Team and then Magical Leaf. It rained leaves, which danced as they fell. The dozen Leafeon then used Leaf Blade, the leaves on their heads and tails growing longer, glowing green. They jumped and cut the Magical Leaf leaves, creating shiny green remnants that spiraled gracefully downward like confetti. 

Right after Zoey left the stage, Dawn came out. She walked out in a yellow dress, head held high. Her hair was in a bun and braided in a very complex pattern. It made me realize that I'd never really noticed what her hair looked like when she took her hat off. 

Pleased, though still wondering why it had taken her hours to get ready, I watched as she threw a Poke Ball into the air, calling out Piplup. He spun midair and landed on his feet. 

She commanded him to use Ice Beam in small intervals while spinning, causing miniscule flecks of ice to fall like snow from the sky. He then used Bubblebeam, aiming for the snow which became trapped inside the bubbles. After that, he aimed a Hydro Pump at the ground, spiraling upward through the cloud of bubbles until he was above all of them. Once he was fifty feet in the air, he began using Ice Beam, forming an icy slide through the bubbles which he slid down elegantly. 

Once he reached the bottom, he used Hydro Pump again, bringing himself to the top of his ice slide and finished with a pose. Everyone clapped. I put my hands together a few times to be polite, amused at the little penguin's ability to cause the crowd to react so easily. Maybe being a wimpy little penguin had its perks. 

A lot of other contestants displayed their own "beauty", but I found watching to be tedious, even when I imagined how their moves could be used in battle instead of making things sparkle. 

"Ok, that's everyone!" Vivian Meridian announced after a seemingly long span of time, jolting me from my stupor, "Now it's time to see which eight Coordinators have made it to the Battle round!" 

The large plasma screen on the wall shot eight pictures up- I first saw Zoey, then wrinkled my nose as I identified Kenny. On the bottom line of pictures was Dawn. 

"Now let's pair these fiery Coordinators up with a competitor!" 

The pictures spun and matched up- Dawn would be battling Kenny in the first round. Ah, my lucky day. I get to see the grin get wiped from his chubby boyish face as Dawn annihilates him into oblivion. 

"First up is Zoey and Susan, let's give them a hand!" 

Zoey came out and used her Glameow to battle against a Manectric. The battle didn't last long- Zoey won easily with practically all her points still intact, her Glameow standing smugly over the Manectric who had taken a powerful Shadow Ball attack right in the face. 

I might dislike Contests and even Zoey, but I had to admit that her and her Pokemon had some spunk.

Hi Readers!

It's been longer than usual since I've updated. Life's been busy. I'm sure for you guys it's gotten busier if you started school. I hope life's going well for all of you :)

As you've seen, the Contest is officially underway! Plenty of battles and Contest drama is coming up... I really don't blame Paul for avoiding them like the plague, really. I hope that you keep reading if you enjoy First Light. Thanks for readings and if you like my story, make sure you vote, comment, and follow.

Let's see... here's my question for my chapter: If you were a Trainer, would you focus on Contests, the Pokemon League, or something else? Remember, you can be a Breeder, Pokemon Watcher, just raise Pokemon and be all pacifist about them like N.... what would you do in the Pokemon World? I'd like to know.

Have an awesome day, guys!

-Flips