Chapter 6- Steal My Show

My Paid Boyfriend

Chapter 6- Steal My Show

*

I stood at the far end of the bar alone drinking something my brother told me to hold on for him. Whatever it was, it was sure helping me cool down and loosen up. I didn't dare nor look around for Jimmy, if he even had the nerve to come back I'd slap him again even if he thought it was cheeky; no pun intended.

I called the bar tender over curious to know what I was drinking, "What did you give my brother?" I asked showing him the glass that was one sip away from being empty.

"It was a Jack and coke." He answered remembering clearly, "Refill?" He asked taking my cup when I nodded and said please. I sighed looking down at my blank phone, no texts, no calls, nothing important but the early time of nine o'clock.

When the bar tender handed over my drink he smiled over to my father who came to stand next to me and asked for his normal drink of rum. "How's your evening going?" My dad asked leaning his side on the bar.

"It's been fair." I shrugged with a mumble to my words; I looked down in my cup and noticed in my peripheral vision he crossed his arms over his chest. Dad is in his, Serious mode, oh no.

"I've been hearing talk that you slapped someone on the face. Come on, what's going on." He demanded taking his drink from the bar tender, "Did you slap Jeremy?" He accused.

"No." I defended sternly.

"Was it your brother?"

"Wrong again."

He sighed closing his eyes and turning his head to the ceiling, "Was it Jimmy?" I stayed quiet frowning at my cup. With another sigh he shook his head taking a sip of his own drink, "That boy. I told your brother it wasn't a good idea."

"They're best friends it's not like I didn't expect to see him here." I muttered playing with the ends of my hair.

"At least I know he deserves it." We both chuckled and smiled at his comment. We all knew why he deserved it, "Here comes that heart to heart moment I rarely so have with you." He warned with a warm smile as he did, "And I hope it's not too much what I'm about to say."

I nodded my head for him to continue, after a brief second he smiled placing his hand on my forearm that rested on the bar counter, "You are so much like your mother. Did you know that?" My father sighed sadly in my direction. The huge smile on my face dropped slightly into a small but proud grin. There was the compliment of the year again, "You look so much like her tonight. And you act so much like her. I can tell you're not into all of this." He waved his hand around with a glass cup in his hand, indicating the enormous elegant ballroom and the snobby rich people and some family that filled it, "You're mom was the same. She didn't care for the high life like you. You reminded me of that when you said you rather go to Ray's then Del Maialino yesterday. I thought, God, she has her mother's blood flowing through her veins and her spirit in her." He chuckled lightly and smiled as he looked down at his liquor cup. My dad never talked about my mom with me, not deeply like this, it's like as we got older it was harder to talk about her together. And every time we talked about her I felt like I was causing my dad pain.

"I actually went to Ray's last week." He admitted looking at me quickly.

"I went today too." I admitted, staring down at my shoes.

"I sat on the same seat just staring out the window. I got to a lot of thinking and reminiscing, having Danny getting married now I just wonder how she would be. I know for a fact she'd be proud of him and you." He gave me a squeeze on the shoulder and pulling me to his side for a hug. Kissing the side of my head he went on saying, "I miss Julia, and I will always love her. But I love Macy, and I hoped that by marring her when you guys were young that she'd be a mother for you two. But getting older I was wrong, no one could ever replace your mother and I hope you never thought of it that way. She was good to you guys and that was all that mattered to me. She was the role model that you all need." I nodded my head agreeing with him. Macy was a part of our life at a young age, growing up I started calling her mom because that's what she was to us. But after Danny gave me a talk about our real mom things were never the same. The word mom tasted bitter on my tongue when I called her that. Eventually as I started getting older I called her Macy, which she was upset about, but once in a while I did slip and call her mom because I still love her like she is my mother.