Epilogue - Part 2

Epilogue - Part 2

"I can come by to look at the space today, that's fine," I agreed, cradling my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I jotted down the time and location on my desk calendar. "Absolutely, not a problem."

"We look forward to seeing you there Mr. Adams."

"You as well."

I hung up, turning away from my desk and almost tripping over a plastic animal farm in the process.

Fucking Jamie, leaving her baby shit all around my apartment.

I almost made it to my kitchen before my cell phone rang again. I let out a huff of annoyance, checking the Caller ID to see that it was Parker.

"Yeah?" I asked, once again cradling my phone between my ear as I sifted through my cabinets in search of some Easy Mac.

"Are you coming to my game tomorrow?" he questioned. "I have that extra ticket and you never responded to my text jackass."

"No, I'm not," I declined, locating a package of Easy Mac in the back. I wrestled it out, turning on the sink to add water. "I've got a meeting with a realtor today to tour that property at 5, and I've got a deadline to meet by tomorrow for an art piece that I'm only halfway done on, if that. Plus I have to call back..." I paused, checking her name on my fridge. "Naomi? Yeah, Naomi today on that job position. I've got a lot of shit to get done."

"Everything good?"

"Everything's fine."

"You need any help?'

"No," I declined, shoving my Easy Mac container into the microwave.

I know that Parker still sees himself as my guardian and me as the teenager who needs his assistance and guidance, rather than the 25-year old adult who lives on his own and is perfectly capable of handling himself.

"Okay, well if you change your mind on that just give me a call."

"Not sure what you'd be able to do but I'll keep it in mind."

I could practically hear him rolling his eyes.

"Are you still coming over on Sunday?"

"Yes."

Emily hosts a family dinner every Sunday at the house, and it to miss it is like committing a cardinal sin.

"Okay, well I'll see you then."

I hung up, tossing my phone on the counter as my Easy Mac finished in the microwave. I began munching on it as I scheduled out the rest of the day, knowing that if I didn't do so I'd start to feel overwhelmed and anxious.

As I finished up my lunch my phone rang. Again.

I let out a string of curse words, snatching my phone up off of the counter to see that it was Emily.

I took in a deep breath before answering my phone. "Hello?"

"Lee. Hi. Are you busy?"

"A bit, yeah."

"Oh, okay."

I let out a long sigh, straightening up. "What is it that you need Em?"

"It's just that Jamie had to stay home from daycare, again, because she's still under the weather. And Parker is training. And Emmett is busy too. And I'm not getting anything done from home work wise and I'm so backed up. And I'm just so overwhelmed." She took in a shaky breath, and I let out a sigh of my own. "But it's okay," she promised. "I just needed to get that off of my chest. I'm sure I can put Jamie down for a nap soon and-"