twenty three

"so, you're dating again?" a cold and low voice asks me from the door of my office.

of course, it startled me and my head snaps up to see who it is. i see the devil, that i call my brother, lean against the frame of it. his arms are crossed over his chest and his lips twist with distaste and disapproval.

my eyebrows furrow, "no, where did you hear that?"

"in the media. if you haven't noticed, jack gilinsky is plastered on every damn thing. i can't believe you moved in with him." he shakes his head.

great. the headache i have will grow during this conversation. i can't imagine it going anywhere but downward.

i open my mouth in astonishment and gasp, "i'm sorry that my ex boyfriend kicked me out! it was out of my control, lawrence and you even offered to help me move out." i seethe.

"that was a negative consequence and it was your fault."

"i know it's my fault." i sigh. "i tell myself that all of the time and i stay feeling horrible about what i did."

"you may be sulking, but you don't have any idea how embarrassed braxton is. he won't even go out to eat in public because he doesn't want to be bombarded with questions."

"can you stop?" i hiss. "everyone literally hates me and i get it, okay? i'm a terrible person with nothing left, but my ex husband and my best friend who's willing to help me even if her husband dislikes me."

lawrence's eyebrows raise from my tone. i've never really raised my voice and spoken up to him before because i feared of what he'd do.

"your ex husband, out of all people."

"i'm lucky that i even have this job still."

"it's because you own thirty-five percent of the company." lawrence retaliates. "but if braxton really wanted to be cruel, he could've hired a lawyer and knocked you flat on your ass."

"i don't want to hear anymore, lawrence. i'm busy working." i mutter, scribbling notes down on my agenda book.

"i just want to know why. why you would do such a thing to someone who gave you so much? everything and anything you could've possibly wanted."

at this point, he's approached the other side of my desk and his fists are against it, leaning toward her. i mentally scoff.

"haven't you've gotten enough satisfaction?"

"no, now answer the question, octavia." he says. "i'm giving you a chance to explain yourself and i'm trying so hard not to shout at you."

"you're not doing a very good job." i inform him. "what is up with you anyway? telling dad about my business? now, he won't let me get my inheritance."

"that's seriously what you're worried about?" lawrence snorts with sarcasm. "you should be grateful that i didn't convince him to sign my name under it."

"what do you want from me? what do you all want? i've apologized to braxton a numerous amount of times and even tried to reason with him." i explain.

"maybe if you didn't move in with your ex husband, braxton would've evaluated the situation and given you another chance." lawrence tells me.