Chapter 3

"Are you sure about this?" Pan asked as he paced and scratched the back of his neck. I was explaining my plan to use my magic to set Taylor free from the Neverbeast.

"I- I'm pretty sure I can do it." I responded.

"Pretty sure? Meg, if we do this, you have to be 100% sure! This is a life we are talking about!" Pan stopped and looked at me dead in the eyes. His eyes were full of a green fire burning for Taylor. His eyes have never looked like that when he talked to me or about me.

"I'm still practicing different aspects of my magic, Peter. It's a work in progress." I said, keeping my cool. I was trying not to snap at him about how I knew he loved Taylor more than me. He knew it, an I knew it, but he didn't know that I knew.

"Ok just-" he stopped. I shifted. "Just keep practicing." He finished and moved towards the latch.

"Where are you going?" I asked as he reached down.

"Out." He responded and popped out of the tree house.

I was left there alone. Why did this feel like a familiar feeling?

Pan POV

I couldn't believe Taylor was alive. After all these years, she was alive! The tears I cried over her, the service we had over her, the pain all of use went through.....it was all for nothing. She was here, alive, and in trouble. I needed to help free her. Sure, Meg has a somewhat good idea. But we needed help now.

I pushed through the thicket of the forest. I was approaching the dark side of the island, home of the Neverbeast. I needed to get a good scope of the land so I knew what kind of magic Meg needed to use. Besides, I might be able to see Taylor.

I kept going. Adrenaline and determination ran through my veins as the boarder separating the two parts of the island approached. I was right there. I was about to take my first step when I heard something.

"Peter?" A small, high pitched voice echoed through the forest. I turned a circle, trying to see who was the source of that voice.

"T-Taylor?" I asked, spinning another circle. I had to see her.

"Peter....stay away! I don't want the same thing that happened to me to happen to you. I care about you way too much for that to happen." I finally saw Taylor sitting on a rock on the other side of the line. She was in the dark, but I could still see some shadows on her perfectly shaped face.
"Let me help you!" I took a step towards her.

She slide forward off the rock.

"Peter....please stay away." Her voice was lined with fear and concern. I took another step forward. I was two steps away from the line. Taylor took a step forwards also. My heart started racing. I longed to feel her touch again. It has been years and I craved it. She was my first, and I wanted her to be my last.

But what about Meg? I also loved her. She makes me feel free, strong, and brave. It's like I could do anything with her.

"Peter?" Taylor gasped. I looked down to realize half of one of my foot was over the line. I jumped back.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to-" I started.

"It's too late, Peter! The neverbeast knows your here now!" Taylor spat at me. "And he knows I'm here too. Peter, I can't be outside the cave! Now he knows I escaped." She finished in a sarcastic tone.

On the same beat, I heard footsteps coming from deep into the forest.
I panicked.

"Taylor....grab my hand!" I reached my hand out over the line.

"Peter!" She yelled in a hushed voice at me.

"Just.....please grab my hand!" I exclaimed and shuffled forward some more. I was halfway over the line.

"PETER!" She snapped. "Please get back!"

The neverbeast was near. I could hear the breath that the beast breathed, taking in the cool air around him. I could smell the odor of mold and old rotten waste.

"Please Taylor." I felt tears coming to my eyes. I stepped completely over the line and reached for her. Our hands touched. It felt like fireworks— old, amazing fireworks. Gosh I missed that feeling.

I looked into her eyes. They were watering. She knew the beast was close, but she wasn't pushing me away any more. We were there in harmony for a couple sweet seconds.
I leaned in. Taylor's eyes searched mine. She came closer. Our lips were almost touching.

There was suddenly a flash of light. There was a giant boom as the light made contact with the neverbeast, who had just broken through the bush. I turned to see where the light came from and saw Meg.

MEG?!?

"Meg!! Stay back!!" I called to her as I slide off the rock. I took big steps closer to her.

"Why?" She snapped. She was crying.

"So you can kiss Taylor in peace?"

I froze. "Meg...."

"Get over here, Peter." She snapped. She held out her hands again as magic shot out of her, making contact with the neverbeast once again. It jumped backwards.

I started towards Meg, but stopped. I looked back at Taylor. She was clutching the rock in fear and looking up at the beast. I wanted to run to her and wrap her in my arms. I wanted to take her to the tree house and just lay with her for the rest of my life. But no, she was stuck on the dark side of the island by the beast.

Taylor turned back to me and nodded. She turned back to the beast and closed her eyes and a giant hand reached through the tree line and grabbed her. My heart dropped. The hand retreated into the forest, taking Taylor.

I jumped after her.

"Peter!" I heard Meg's voice behind me. I didn't care. I pushed forwards, running where I heard the brush break.
Suddenly there was silence. I stopped. I was about a mile into the dark side of the island. I heard small whimpers from Taylor, but I couldn't pinpoint the sound.

Before I could breath another breath, the giant hand of the neverbeast shot through the tree line. It made contact with my whole body and caused me to sly into the sky.

The last thing I heard was Taylor screaming my name.