Eleven

Wren

When I got into work the next afternoon, I was surprised to see Brady working the bar, and Emma waiting the only two tables that were occupied. I'd hardly seen them for the week and a half that I've been working here, and that's every day after school except Wednesday's and all weekend.

Marlene must've finally gotten her revenge on them, because they didn't seem very happy at all. I've heard Brady sigh, loud and long, at least four times since I arrived. Plus, Marlene was nowhere in sight, so I assumed she forced them to cover her shift.

As the afternoon waned, more and more tables filled up, and I got to work. I got some very generous tips that I had to resist the urge to plant a kiss on before tucking them into my apron pocket. Soon enough, I'll have my car-- I just know it.

I step towards the bar, where Brady stood with his back towards me, rearranging the liquor on the shelf.

I just sat quietly and watched him for a while, holding the black, plastic round tray in my hands. I couldn't help it-- I started thinking of Haven.

There was this one time, about a year before she went missing. Haven was seventeen, and I had just turned fourteen. I hadn't looked up to her then as much as I started to later on. In fact, I pretty much hated her. And I hated all of her stupid friends that paraded across our house like it was a first-come-first serve carnival.

It was Friday night, and I was up to my usual weekend plans-- finishing off my recent novel obsession and studying for upcoming eighth grade finals. Alone, in my bedroom.

Haven was up to much more exciting arrangements right down the hall. I could hear her and Jenna giggling and screaming through the wall, loud and clear, and it was distracting. I tried to ignore them, but they wouldn't shut up. I finally had enough, and angrily marched to her bedroom door to tell them to shush.

When the door opened, I saw my sister sprawled out across the thin carpeted floor of her bedroom, holding a bottle of vodka in her hand, chuckling light and airy.

Jenna stood before me, her dark, disheveled hair a tousled mess, makeup smeared. She was drunk, too, I could tell by the way she struggled to stay planted in one place.

"Hey, Wren!" Haven smiled brightly when she saw me. She rolled over, spilling parts of the bottle on the rug. She didn't seem to notice. "It's my favorite baby sister, Wrenegade Lemonade! Want something to drink?"

"What did you just call me?"

"Do you need something?" Jenna asked me, her small smile alluring as she scrutinized me, checking for symptoms of a little more maturity. Clearly, I showed none. I was just a little girl to her, and I assumed to Haven as well. That's why I didn't like her very much. Because of the way she and her friends treated me.

"It's almost two a.m.," I responded, "you guys should go to bed."

"Are you kidding?" Haven jolted up in one swift motion, which, obviously gave her quite the head rush. She groaned and laid back down. "We have so many more things to do before morning."

"Tonight?" I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning against the door frame.

"Of course tonight," Jenna answered for her.

"Are you.. " I furrowed my eyebrows, "will you be driving?"

"Of course not," Haven shook her head, taking another swig of the liquor. "I'm badass, but I'm not stupid."