Chapter 1

"WOHOO!!!" A blue hedgehog shouted as he ran through the forest. Nothing could make him happier than this. It was just him and the wind.

If course racing Shadow would make this ten times better.

Sonic seemed to stop as that thought entered his mind. Lately, he's been thinking more and more about his rival. Of course, he didn't really think anything of it, but it still felt strange...

He shrugged it off as he opted to walk in the beauty around him. He smiled as he let the calming forest surround his thoughts.

'You know, Sonic? You really did good on this place.' He thought.

"Sonic!" A loud scream was heard as a pink hedgehog ran towards him. He knew he was about to get glomped on, but turned around anyway. The girl hugged him tightly, not daring to let go. "Oh, Sonic! It's horrible!"

"Calm down, Amy." Sonic said calmly as the other hedgehog looked at him. "What's wrong?"

"Eggman has been trying to chase me down all day!"

As if on cue, a robot that resembled a cowboy stomped through. On its arms was a series of tubes, resembling tassels. Sonic noticed that one already had a very angry hedgehog in it.

"Shadow?" The question was left in the air as Amy hid behind him and the robot stopped.

"Ah, Sonic. So great to see you." Dr. Eggman smirked as Sonic stared up at him with resilience. He noticed the blue rat glancing at his little captive.

Shadow was banging on the glass, his eyes glowing with rage and... fear? For some reason, he couldn't break that glass, and Sonic knew that it was making him even angrier. He wanted to ask how Shadow even got captured, but he opted for telling Amy to go so he could fight.

'Where did I go wrong with this? The Robotnicks were so nice all of those generations ago...'

He smiled. "Well, I guess I haven't seen Shadow in a while. Heya, faker! How's it going?"

Shadow just glared at him. He always hated how Sonic wouldn't take much things seriously. He watched as Sonic got into a fighting position; he could almost feel Eggman smirk as he pressed a button.

"Now, now, we aren't even at the best part."

Shadow fell to his knees as a bright, golden light surrounded him. He refused to scream, but Sonic could hear a loud whimper as it happened, causing his ears to jet back. He didn't wait to jump, curling up and zooming towards the tube keeping Shadow captive.

He was quickly thrown back by a powerful flash of light. It's a good thing that he landed on that convenient patch of long grass (wink, wink.) He groaned before stumbling to get up and glaring at Eggman.

"Do you like this, Sonic?" Eggman grinned. "I have created something so powerful that I can take Shadow's powers!"

Sonic's ears twitched as he heard Shadow growl out in pain. He quickly searched for an opportunity to attack, finding none. His eyes found Amy, who was still waiting in the sidelines.

"Hey, Amy." Sonic said, quiet enough for Eggman not to hear. "Go get the others."

Amy nodded and ran off as Sonic spin dashed into the robots leg, almost tipping it over.