twenty one // helpless

( * RIDLEY )

LUKE HAS BEEN GONE FOR over a week, and so have the boys. We had a big fight over whether I should go with them or not, and after they decided that me going after him is exactly what his kidnappers want, I stayed. But so did Liz, so at least I'm not alone.

Presently I'm sat in the living room, Liz is sat on the love seat across from me. I'm on the edge of the cushion, my leg bobbing up and down as questions swirl around my brain. Where are they? What's taking them so long? Is Luke okay?

Liz chuckles. "Worrying over it won't make you feel better," she says, but there are creases on her forehead because of how much they've been furrowed.

"It's just... what's taking them so long?"

"Maybe they didn't really anticipate how long it would take them to find him," she says with a light shrug, which almost seems defeated. "I'll make us something to eat." With that, she gets up and walks to the kitchen.

I don't understand. The boys set off the minute we found out about Luke - well, after we argued - so why aren't they back yet? Maybe something went wrong. Maybe they came across some Hybrids and had to fight their way through. No! They're okay. Everything's okay. They have to be okay...

I gnaw on my fingernail, being alone not really helping. Liz acts like she's calm, but beneath that I see that she is worried, too. And if Liz is worried, something definitely went wrong.

I see movement in the window that shows the forest behind us, and my head whips around to get a clearer image. I gasp, and shout, "Liz!" Clambering out of my chair, I run out of the patio doors and race towards the boys.

They look exhausted, and no wonder, with how long they've been gone. I eye each of them, and see that the two faces I'm most excited see are not there - Calum... and Luke. Something in my deflates. Not like a balloon, because a balloon loses air slowly if it's pierced. This is more like a water bed, pain spraying out of my heart as endless possibilities run through my brain. Where are they? They can't be dead! We never leave anyone behind!

Liz is here now. I didn't see her approach; aren't aware of anything but my own breaths. I'm glad she's here. She can actually speak while I try not to fall apart.

"Where are Luke and Calum?" she asks after checking if they're okay.

"They're-" Andy starts, but then I see them.

Not just Calum and Luke, but... Max. I can question him later, because the most alarming thing right now isn't Max being here, it's Luke. He's being supported by them, his body dragging them downwards as they pull him closer. He's unconscious. Another water bed is popped.

I don't need to tell my legs to move; they're already there. I search his face for any signs of life, but there is nothing. He's alive, though. I know this because through my panic, I can feel the slight hum of the electricity between us. It's barely noticeable, but it's still there. I take his face in my hands, and for a moment I forget about everyone else. I just study his face for any signs of pain.

Remarkably, he looks rather peaceful. In this state, he looks like he's been sleeping for days. His eyebrows relaxed and his jaw soft, and I notice that his lips are naturally puckered. To test it out, I slide my lips onto his and kiss him tenderly, hoping to get a reaction, something. But he does nothing. My hands give off a light buzz, though it's nothing compared to what it's usually like. My lips tingle, but I think it's more to do with the facial hair that he has left to grow. I'll have to tell him to keep it when he wakes up. If he wakes up...