Twenty One

I stand in front of my mirror, carefully removing daisies from my hair.

I do this with great caution and a hint of sadness, for I quite like the way the daisies look in my hair. Furthermore, I like who put them there-Harry and Wesley.

It almost seemed as if the deceased children from the cemetery were a little family, all stuck in the same boat. I think of how Harry almost treated Wesley and Em like siblings he never had. He told me he never wanted his parents to adopt him a sibling when he was alive-has that aspect of his personality changed since his death?

I know that as an only child myself, I've always wished for siblings. Maybe a sister or a brother to keep me company when my parents are busy or annoying. I don't exactly know why my parents never tried for another child. I guess one was enough for them, and I understand that. Every family is different, ours just happens to have stopped growing with me.

I line up the daises on my dresser. They look so simple-delicate white petals surrounding a sunny yellow center. Yet, they are so beautiful, each a little different from the rest, despite their uniform design.

I pull my hair off my shoulders and tie it in a ponytail.

If I could help every single one of those dead children cross, I would.
-
On Friday afternoon, I am invited to another party.

I cross my arms over my chest at Max and Jenna, raising my eyebrows.

"No," I say flatly.

"Why not?" Jenna asks, pushing out her bottom lip in a mock pout.

"I just got out of being grounded, I don't need my parents getting mad at me again."

"We'll make sure you don't get too drunk." Max smirks.

I sigh.

"Why do I have to come?" I ask.

"Because it's at my place, and I insist," Max says, smiling.

My interest is peaked. Perhaps by going to this party I can find out more about Max and his family-and their possible link to Harry's murder.

I shift. "Alright. I guess I can go."

Max grins and Jenna claps her hands with excitement.

"Great! I'll come and pick you up at eight," Jenna says.

"Great," I say, rolling my eyes and Max throws an arm around my shoulders playfully.

"Turn that frown upside down, Marx," he says as the three of us walk through the courtyard towards the school parking lot.

"Stop being so happy, it's bothering me."

Jenna laughs and Max digs his fingers into my sides, causing me to squirm.

I push away from him, unable to hide the smile on my face as the other two laugh.

Jenna, Max and I go our separate ways once we reach the lot. I fish for my keys in my bag and am not surprised to find my car freezing cold inside.

I hear Harry's voice in my ear when I sit behind the wheel.

"You're into him, aren't you?"

I furrow my brow and turn to look at him confusedly. "Max?"

"No, George Washington," Harry scoffs sarcastically, rolling his yes.

I raise an eyebrow. "Firstly, don't be rude," I snap.

He begins to say something but I hold my hand up to silence him.

"Secondly, I'm not into Max," I finish, fighting a smile.