Chapter Four: The Kingdom

The darkness started to lift and I was aware of people talking around me; the grey mist was burnt and my eyes opened with little difficulty. I lifted my head to see three figures gathered around a stained glass window, one of them I recognized as Celest; the other two I had never seen before. One was a young boy with black hair and the other was an old man with white hair. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, this caught the attention of Celest "Percyla!" She cried and ran over to me, hugging me tightly "I'd thought we lost you" her voice now shook and she held me ever closer to her. I then felt her warm tears against my cheek, she gasped and pulled me away; she then looked over at the old man and told him her thanks.

                "That was a nasty wound you had, my lady, you were bitten by a MoonStalker, a rare snake in these parts, very rare actually; first one seen in over a decade" The old man said walking over to the bed I was in, holding a book and pointing to a painting of the snake that had attacked me earlier that day. I must have looked bewildered because the old man began to chuckle, as did Celest; he closed the book and held out his hand "Forgive my rudeness, my lady, I am Gaius the court physian" Gaius had white, shoulder length hair and brown eyes, his left had gone lame. He looked worn from the years of service to Uther Pendragon; but he was amiable all the same.

                Gaius then smiled and motioned over to the young boy. The young boy had black hair and green eyes that glittered golden every once in a while. He was lanky and wore a brown jacket with a black shirt. "This is my apprentice, Merlin" Merlin smiled and waved at me, I returned the smile and bowed my head, for my arm had gone numb. "As I was saying, a very rare snake indeed, yet its poison is common and you are very lucky that we carried the antidote" Gaius smiled and shook a small brown bottle in front of me.

                "I thank you both, for if it hadn't been for you I would be dead" I said looking from Merlin to Gaius. Merlin stood a few feet away from the bed with his hands behind his back and a goofy grin upon his face, Celest and I giggled at the sight; I looked down at my leg to see two small holes not very far apart, obviously from the snake's bite. At that moment my stomach grumbled and Celest left for the kitchens, to get me something to eat.

                "My lady, if I may ask, what prompted you to come to Camelot?" Gaius asked walking back over to me as Merlin poured a cup of water for me; I thanked him and sipped it quickly.

                "Forgive me, I can't really remember" I said putting the cup down on my lap and looking up at the two. "The most I can remember is waking in Celest's care a night ago" Gaius's brows furrowed as he looked at me.

                "You being a beautiful woman, a lot could have happened in the time you don't remember" Gaius said with a solemn tone as he stared into my eyes. I nodded and tapped my fingertips on the wooden cup that Merlin handed me. I looked up and saw that Merlin's green eyes softened and he wore a warm smile; I gave a weak smile back. Just as Merlin was about to speak, the door to the small room was flung open and a tall made strode inside; he had blonde hair and blue eyes; he was clean-shaven and had the overall look of royalty about him. In his walk, there was a respect that was demanded, yet courage unveiled itself as his boots touched the stone floor.

                The man stopped a few paces inside the room and stared at me, he looked baffled and amazed at once. "Merlin" He said, his eyes never leaving me "You never said you had company" he finished, slowly walking forward and bending down, taking my hand in his and kissing it gently "Arthur Pendragon at your service, my lady" Arthur's voice was smooth and my ears were pleasured in hearing it. For a moment I was stunned, I quickly composed myself and replied.

                "And Percyla Quin at yours" I replied as he kissed my hand for a second time. He then put my hand down upon my lap and turned to Gaius and Merlin.

                "What is wrong with Miss. Quin?" He asked, Gaius explained the bite to Arthur; Arthur then sat down upon the bed and asked me how I was bitten.

                "As we were riding for Camelot my horse reared and knocked me off. It sped off into the woods and that's the snake presented itself" Arthur nodded; he then stood and looked to Merlin.

                "Merlin, make Percyla up a room" Arthur winked at me and I smiled in return. As he and Merlin left, Celest came back from the royal kitchens baring food for me. The men watched as she set a tray down on my lap, Arthur smiled and Merlin pulled him away. Celest smiled and pulled up a chair near my bed, she waited until Gaius left us to ourselves to speak to me.

                "So? What did you think of Prince Arthur Pendragon?" She asked excitedly, accidently hitting my calf muscle. I cringed with pain but it soon passed and I wore a smile on my face; Celest giggled and let the question drop, for my stomach gurgled again.