Chapter 38: Tattoo and Video Games

Zak and I had finished eating the soup, which was delicious and had soothed my throat tremendously, but Zak hadn't believed me on the delicious part.

"You're just saying that so you won't hurt my manly ego," Zak joked.

I laughed quietly, trying my best not to laugh too hard, since it caused me pain.

"I'm not just saying it! It was really good. Best soup I've had in a long time," I replied softly.

Zak smiled at me.

"Really?" Zak asked.

I smiled and nodded.

"Yes, really," I said softly.

Zak's smile brightened.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it," Zak said. "I know my mom will be glad you enjoyed it too," Zak added.

Holy shit. His mother? What?

"Your mother knows about me?" I asked softly, still in shock.

Zak realized his mistake.

"Um...possibly," Zak said with a smile, before standing up and gathering our empty bowls.

"I can get-" I started, but he shook his head. "Alright, then tell me what you mean by 'possibly'," I said softly.

Zak laughed and sighed, as he picked up the two empty glasses and carried all four dishes over to the sink, setting them down on the counter before he started filling the sink with warm water.

I would of argued that he could of just put the dishes in the dish washer, but I decided to let him do what he wanted.

I was more interested in what he'd told his mother about me.

Zak squirted some soap into the running water, and grabbed the pot from the stove and set it in the water.

"Well, she knew we had to get a woman for the show. She didn't really ask much until she saw the photoshoot we did," Zak said, as he waited for the sink to fill up.

I remained sitting on the stool at the counter island, but had turned to watch Zak and had my elbows up on the edge of the counter.

"And...?" I asked, feeling nervous.

Zak looked back at me with a rather big smile on his face.

"I believe her exact phrase was 'She's gorgeous!'" Zak said, imitating what I assumed was his mother's voice.

I laughed at his imitation, trying not to wince, and also felt my face flush.

"Oh for fuck sakes," I mumbled in embarrassment.

Zak laughed as he turned off the water, and started washing our dishes.

"You did tell her I don't look like that on a daily basis?" I said softly, laughing somewhat.

"Well, when she started asking more about you as time went on, I texted her that picture I took of you and Gracie. She replied saying you were 'cute and adorable'," Zak said. "And just because you don't have your hair and makeup done, doesn't mean you aren't beautiful," Zak added.

My face flushed again.

"And what did you tell her about me?" I asked softly, finding my stomach in knots.

God, now I understand why people get so freaked out meeting each other's parents, I thought.

Zak continued washing up and drying the dishes as he answered.