1. Negative Asf

With a pair of brand new Dolce and Gabbana shades on the bridge of my nose, I stretched out my tanned legs on the empty seat next to me. I've spent most of my summer at my sister's house in Texas. The real famous and rich one, Kasey, that makes diet logs cooler than Apple makes new rose gold IPhones. Her house is like a Barbie dream house and I had a lot of those as a child. The sunlight is unbelievable down there in comparison to what I receive here in Vermont.

I live in Burlington, Vermont near the Winooski River in what we call the Intervale Neighborhood. Basically it's for people who have locally owned organic farms like my father. When I was much younger and my older sister Kasey actually lived in Vermont with me, our family didn't have much money. My father was a local farmer and my mother owned a shop where she sold crocheted items.

Those two jobs didn't bring in much income. On the other hand, it did give us a lot of friends. My mother and father are everyone's favorites in the neighborhood for they are kind and gentle. Lots of unloved children have taken refuge at my house over the years. If anyone needs anything, they can always come to the Lewis' house.

Nowadays, since my sister's gorgeous fiancé Justin Quinn spilled word of my father's farm to an overly obsessed food industry woman, we aren't so basic anymore.

My father spends more time on the farm than ever, meaning I have to spend more time on the farm also. Now we are wealthy. Kasey alone makes thousands of dollars, I'm sure she has a million dollars by now and don't even get me started on how much Justin makes. Between the two of them, they are easily millionaires.

As for my dad, he makes thousands from his farm and the most interesting thing about his farm is that he hires single parents, former convicts, and rehabilitated people who are trying to refrain from relapsing. So many magazines and newspapers have interviewed my father and taken photos of his farm. There is something intriguing about hiring the undesirable.

Yet, my father has not had one problem out of any of his employees. They love my father and they work hard for him. That is probably the only reason I don't complain too much when I'm on the farm, because all of the employees are like family to me. It's just a big pot of diverse people.

Antsy, I looked up from the table to find Griffin passing around fliers to nearby seated people. I snorted. Griffin is interesting. She is tall, always tanned, with cascading aqua colored hair with matching blue eyes. Today she is wearing an AC/DC shirt with red hot shorts. On her feet is a pair of black Doc Martens. On top of her head sits aviators and her wide eyes are illuminated. Anyone would take a flyer from her.

"Griffin!" I called out.

She whipped her head around and then smiled at the sight of me, immediately walking over. "Miranda, hey!" She tucked her fliers underneath her left arm as I stood up to embrace her.

Dressed in a blush pink scallop skirt, a horizontal striped tee, with nude sandals, I contrasted heavily with Griffin's grunge style. My off the shoulder bag rests on my hip.

"Where are your friends?" she inquired, her nose wrinkling at the thought of them, or of just mainly Lucy. Linet she likes, Lucy she does not.

"They are on their way." I smiled sheepishly. See, I adore Griffin and she is always in the majority of my classes so we talk a lot. But outside of school we never do and she doesn't share details about her life so I don't share any about mine.

Linet and I hardly ever have classes together because she's so smart and is in all of the advanced placement classes. Her father is a heart surgeon; he expects the best from her. Lucy is average and isn't in any extracurricular activities so I never see her either.