1:16

[ THE RISE: CHAPTER SIXTEEN ]

In the compound, Marcel checked on an unconscious Camille before turning to a scared looking Davina, "Did it work?"

"Marcel, I have no idea. I had to redirect the spell straight back to Esther because, Rhea and Ares.. Weren't there. Something is wrong."

As if on cue, Ares came running through the courtyard, his little sister in his arms, Kol hot on his tail.

Placing Rhea on the table, he tugged at his hair out of both frustration and desperation, Davina ran over to them, inspecting her friend— her blood ran cold when she realise, her friend had no pulse.

Kol, who hadn't said a word, looked distraught, this was one of the few times he really hadn't a clue what to do— he was pretty sure his heart was going to give out soon, for a life without Rhea, wasn't a life worth living.

"No, no, no. She can't be dead, you said this was a foolproof plan!" Davina shouted, looking to Kol for some sort of explanation.

"Esther had tied Rhea's life to the body she was in, God, we should've bloody known!" He shouted more to himself than anyone else, turning to the nearest wall, he let his anger fly, with a fist straight into the brick— not even flinching at the pain, for the emotional turmoil he was dealing with far outweighed that.

Klaus and Elijah soon returned, with Rebekah's body— in Klaus' arms, placing her inside the home, they rushed back into the courtyard.

"Is there anything you can do?" Klaus questioned Ares, who had been eerily quiet, simply staring at his sisters lifeless body.

"We should've known," he mumbled, "Esther said, 'should this body die, another will go down with it', we should have known!" He shouted the last four words, slamming his fist down on the table.

"Everyone get out of the way." The tone in Ares voice made everyone step back instantly.

"Whatever you're thinking of doing, channel us." Kol suggested— Ares shook his head.

"No. This isn't something either of you can help with, this can only be done by pure magic, that isn't beholden by nature— no balance."

"Ares, what do you mean, no balance?" Elijah questioned, this was the first time he had spoken up since being back, everyone was scared to speak; incase the older Monroe witch lost his temper. Elijah, as well as Klaus, was worried for both the siblings, once upon a time they were all extremely close. Although their most recent meetings hadn't been pleasant, they did care for the two.