XIII. Sonic the Hedgehog

"Rock...?" I called. He didn't even say anything through the communicator. "Tempo? Rush?"

My voice echoed through out, making goosebumps form on my arms. My head twirled backwards suddenly, and I forgot why I had turned, but there was a stream of fog forming a line down a hallway. I followed it suspiciously, thinking it just might lead to my friends... Or it would lead to my demise. But hopefully the first option.

It stopped in front of a normal door. My hand was on the handle, but I didn't feel in control of it. I didn't want to turn the knob. I was afraid that water would come and try to kill me again, drowning me before I could find Mega Man.

Fear. That's what the whole house wanted. Whatever I feared would appear behind the door. What was I really afraid of? What else was I afraid of? Because that was what would appear behind the door.

Or... So I thought. To my surprise, when I flung the door open, it was a dark room. I tested the floor before I walked on it, making sure that it wasn't a trap. The fog led downward, travelling through a what seemed to be transparent flight of stairs. As fast as I could, I went down them, taking them two at a time. I almost slipped and rolled down the rest of them at one point, but I didn't. I was able to stop myself just in time.

The stairs were at least a couple hundred yards down. It took forever to get to the bottom of them, and when I did, I saw nothing besides a light blue wall. The fog had massed itself against the stone, but I was unsure of what it wanted me to do. I touched my hand to it, but nothing happened. It was solid, and there seemed to be no way through it.

For minutes, I tried to figure out what to do. It looked like someone had spit all over the wall, slime dripping from the crevices. Surely, there wasn't something that led me to a useless, spit wall, was there...? I took my chances, and tried walking into it. As I did, I felt like I was being transported into another dimension or something.

Behind the wall, I found Mega Man and Tempo. They were trapped in what looked like a spider web, entangled in the giant mess. Mega Man was unconscious, but Tempo seemed to be trying everything she could to get free. Below them, there was a massive rainbow colored platform that seemed to float in the air. The edges didn't have anything on them, so falling was an easy option.

"Hang on, I'll have you out in just a second!" I shouted, running over to the web. I climbed up a string of silk that was as thick as my arm.  "Ugh!" I grunted once I touched it. It was sticky and gross, like I was climbing a rope of tape. Really gooey, gross tape. I tried ripping off the stuff that quarantined Mega Man, but it was a long process. And it got all over me, and it was absolutely disgusting. The silk was like two month old milk.

In the middle of tearing it apart to get Mega Man free, I stopped when I heard a thud. The ground shook, but I really, really didn't want to look behind me.

"Well, well, well." The robot said. I still hadn't looked at him, trying silently to break Mega Man free. "If it isn't the poor sap I was ordered to kill."

I didn't reply. I had nothing to say, and I didn't want to pick a fight yet. I wanted help. I needed help. And I hated to admit that.

"Come down and fight me like a man, you twerp!" The robot shot something at me that made me fall to the ground, paralyzing me for a few seconds. It only stung, like a bee sting, and the feeling that kept me from moving went away quickly.

"I'm a hedgehog, but fine." I replied, angrily looking at the robot. I was covered in sticky goo and had a bee sting in my back. Great. The Robot Master in front of me was fully black, and looked like a shadow. Probably moved like one, too. Its eyes were the only thing that could be seen, and they looked like white dots with green cat-eye pupils in them. "What are you, Nightmare Man?"