Chapter Twenty-Five

I take a quick step back from Asher and scratch the back of my neck awkwardly, feeling the blood rush to my cheeks. As I cast a glance sideways though, Asher leans against the wall casually with a smirk, seeming totally unaffected by the intrusion. I look back at my little sister who's begun to take cheerful steps over to the dominant presence of hotness overload over there.

"Mary? Didn't I tell you to stay upstairs?" I say with a tinge of annoyance, taking in a deep controlled breath as Mary pokes at Asher's leg and looks at his hands with curiosity. He, however, just looks down at her with pure amusement, and looks at me with a raised eyebrow in question.

"Mary? Helloooo-" I snap a finger in front of her face and she blinks.

-Where aw the poinwty twigs?" Mary asks with innocent inquisition, looking up at me with big blue eyes and completely disregarding my question. I let out an aggravated sigh.

"The twigs? You mean the claws?"

-You know, buttercup, she might be talking about another pointy twi-"

-If you finish that sentence," I let out with scary calmness, pointing a wavering finger at Asher as I control my anger, "I will cut you into pieces and you won't have a pointy twig to think about anymore."

He lets out a dark chuckle and presses away from the wall, taking long strides towards me. "Feisty... I like."

-You won't in a second big guy, if you don't shut up." I say between gritted teeth, annoyance with him replacing the hot lust we shared just moments ago.

Now he's just seriously pissing me off.

He leans down and encircles his arms around my waist. An adorable pout frames his face when I place a flat hand on his - very nicely muscly - chest and keep him at bay with a hard glare.

"No PDA with children around." He lets out a growl and hot fire spills through my veins. "Sorry." I shrug nonchalantly with a sweet smile.

I'm not sorry.

I step away from the pissed off alpha male and nod towards the stairs at Mary. "Go upstairs please."

-But I want to pway too!" She sprints over to Asher and flashes him the biggest puppy eyes ever to be seen in history. "Where is Wolfie?"

-Damien isn't - umm, here at the moment." His eyes fleet to me for a second and I tense when I catch it. He's hiding something from me. And I'm sure that it involves me.

Mary's eyes grow unbelievably sad and she nods softly, turning to go. I would have melted in a puddle at her sadness, and by the looks of Asher, her down spiraling mood has affected him to. He looks at her with bewilderment and hurries to add.

"But - hey, wait! - do you want to see my wolf?"

Mary turns again, "No." She says simply, making her way up the stairs. When she's out of view, I let out a disbelieving laugh at Asher's face. He furrows his eyebrows and frowns.

"I didn't think a four-year old would ever shrink my ego that much."

-It's not like you have that much of an ego to begin with." I state with a crossed arms in hopes of looking intimidating. 

Liar, liar, pants on fire-

He chuckles darkly at me and licks his lower lip, looking down at me and taking a step towards me to leave the tiniest of space between our bodies. "You know what else about me is big?"