twenty five

of course, throughout the entire car ride, i had my eyes wide with shock. i can't be believe this is actually happening. i thought this would be the last of my worries.

"hey, baby, how was work?" jack interrogates instantly as i enter the house.

it's as if he was expecting and waiting for me to come home. the thought makes my heart flutter, but refrain because i'm not in the mood. i ignore him and make my way upstairs.

"octavia?" he calls out, confusion laced in his voice. "what's wrong?"

if only there was a way to convince braxton not to fire me. it's not simple because if you're not someone special to him, it's very hard to convince him to change his mind. he's very opinionated.

i hear jack's loud footsteps follow behind me and they're quick, meaning he's trying to catch up to my pace.

"octavia," he repeats sternly. "talk to me. did i do something?"

"braxton is firing me."

"what?" his eyes widen. "why?"

maybe he's trying to mask his excitement. he doesn't like me working with braxton at all. i try to be as professional as possible in the office, but it's hard.

"because we're not a couple anymore and it's uncomfortable to him."

"that's okay." he responds. "you can come work with me or you don't need a job."

"no, i don't want to be in that position again." i inform him, crossing my arms over my chest.

he eyes my arms and then his face flickers with confusion. my posture is radiating attitude.

his eyebrows pull together, "what position?"

"where you accuse me of being a gold digger and depending on your money."

"it won't be like that." he emphasizes. "that was the past. please stop bringing up the past. especially if we're trying to move forward with our life."

letting out a big sigh, i fall down onto the bed and try to relax my body. so much is going on and i can barely comprehend any of it. holy hell, i'm getting fired tomorrow. technically, i'm fired now, but it'll be finalized tomorrow.

"braxton asked me if i wanted to get back together with him." i murmur.

"what?" jack's voice raises significantly.

i lift my head to look at his shocked face that's also laced with worry. he's leaning against the doorframe.

"i'm not leaving you." i assure him. "i didn't get back together with him, obviously. he doesn't want me working with him."

"who's going to take your part of the company?" he asks.

i shrug, "i don't want to think about that right now."

"i made dinner, well ordered dinner, if you want to eat and not think."

i nod my head, "i want to do that."

i hear jack breathe a laugh, "alright, baby."

suddenly, i'm scooped up in his arms and he's carrying me down the stairs. he's either trying to hide how exhausted he is, or he's actually carrying me effortlessly down trillions of stairs.

"what'd you buy?" i ask, starting up a conversation.

"actually someone prepared it." he laughs and i shake my head. "we're having pizza."

"yay." i cheer. "not a fancy three course meal."

"nope." he smiles down at me. "just pizza."

"made by someone you hired. not pizza hut." i drag a fake tear down my face with my finger.