c h a p t e r 18

The next day, I woke up with the sound of birds chirping. Jess was still sleeping soundly beside me when I opened my eyes. I stood up to stretch before making my way outside the tent.

Today was a free day, and we could do whatever we wanted. However, we had to spend the day with our partners.

"You're early today cupcakes," Jeremy's voice sounded from beside me.

"You too. Good morning partner," I greeted him.

"What should we do today?" I began to ask.

"Do you have anything you want to do?" Jeremy asked me instead.

I thought for awhile. "Can we go fishing?" I asked him hopefully.

"Sure thing, I'll go get us the fishing supplies, I'll meet you at the lake," he told me.

"Ok." With that, I made my way to the toilet to wash up.

After doing so, I met Jeremy at the lake where my submerged and most probably, dead phone was.

He was sitting along the lake on a foldable chair whistling to himself.

"Hey," he said when he saw me settling down on the chair next to him.

"Hey, can you teach me how to fish?" I asked him.

Jeremy's expression of shock told me that he didn't see that coming.

"You don't know how to fish?" He asked incredulously.

I nodded.

"Then why did you suggest fishing?"

I shrugged. "I haven't fished before."

Jeremy nodded understandingly and began to teach me the ropes.

After many failed attempts, I finally managed to lure a fish to my bait.

As I was about to reel in the fish I caught, a tug on the fishing rod caused me to lose my balance.

"Aah!" And icy cold water hit me. I felt myself sinking, I didn't realise the water was so deep. "Help me!" As the water muffled my voice, I found myself thinking about something.

Why hadn't I learned how to swim?

--------------------

Cough cough

Water sputtered out of my mouth as I began to regain my consciousness.

My eyelids fluttered open. All I could see was a blurry image of someone familiar.

"You're ok!" The voice exhaled a sigh of relief and hugged me to him. "I was so worried."

This voice.

My brain was apparently not working right now. Who is this guy? His voice brings butterflies to my stomach.

"Come on, let's get you dried," the guy said and led me to a tent. "Give me a moment, I'll go get you some clothes." With that,  the guy left the tent.

"Here, change into this. I'll be outside. Tell me when you're done," the guy passed me the clothes that he has been holding and zipped up the tent.

I stripped off my wet clothes which were now sticking to my body and put on the clean fresh ones. These were my clothes.

"I'm done," I called out and the guy walked into the tent after unzipping it.

Picking up a towel from a bag nearby, he began to towel dry my hair.

"Cupcakes, please be careful next time. I was scared shitless." His voice was soothing and I could feel myself relaxing.

The guy dried my hair with gentle movements, like that of a big brother's.

"Who are you? Are you my brother?" I finally found my voice. His eyes widened upon hearing my words. "Oh god...do you have memory loss?" He asked shocked yet at the same time scared, like he didn't want me to forget about him.

I didn't reply, so he continued. "Come on, I'll take you to the nurse."

"Get onto my back," he instructed and I jumped onto it. It felt familiar.

Flashbacks played in my mind. This guy.

"Wait. Jeremy?" I recalled.

Jeremy placed me back down onto the ground upon hearing his name.

"Do you remember me?" Jeremy asked, his features laced with worry.

I nodded. "Yeah, I recalled."

"Thank god," Jeremy heaved a sigh of relief and cupped my face. "I was so afraid you'll forget about me." He then pulled me into his warm embrace. My heart fluttered.

--------------------

When the sun began to set, Jeremy somehow managed to prepare a fish feast for the class.

"I didn't know mr hottie could cook," Jess squealed in my ear causing me to flinch due to the loudness. "It was so delicious. He would make a good boyfriend, or maybe a good husband. I wonder how he found the ingredients. The seasoning of that dish was just right. Do you know—" Jess rambled on.

I remember everything now. Though I said I was fine, Jeremy still insisted that we visit the school nurse, and so we did.
Ms Wendy, the school nurse who came along with us on this camping trip said that I was alright. The memory loss was due to shock, and I would recall everything soon. Thankfully.

Anyway, Jess was right, Jeremy would make a good boyfriend or husband. I wonder what kind of women he'll end up with. Do devils even get married?

"Are you thinking of me?" A familiar voice sounded beside my ear. The huskiness causing the hair on the back of my neck to stand.

I was about to deny it but stopped myself. He would know that I was lying anyway. "Yeah, I was thinking of thanking you for today," I managed to say instead. "Oh yes! Thank you too! The food you made was very very good," Jess beamed.

"You're very welcome ladies," Jeremy said with a heart-stopping smile and gave a slight curtsy, lifting up his imaginary skirt. I laughed at this sight and shook my head, warmth filling my heart.

"You so like him," Jess giggled once Jeremy was out of hearing distance. "I do not," I denied vehemently. "Sure sure, keep telling yourself that. Your face says otherwise," Jess laughed.

I placed my palms on my cheeks. They were warm. Was I actually blushing because of Jeremy?!

"Elle! Come on, its time to get ready for bed!" Jess hollered from afar.

"Ok! I'm coming!" I shouted back and ran towards her.