Chapter 9: Winter to Spring, Part 1

Nine

Nine

AS THE SNOWS of Cold month drew to a close, the world began to warm again. Winter Rains lived up to its name and Mhysra's fortitude was tested every morning as she slogged through mud and sleet. The winds were merciless, but nothing compared to Hethanon Armsmaster.

Regardless of whether it was because of the training master or the weather, fewer and fewer students showed for their morning torture sessions. As the end of the year crept closer, the fifty recruits had been reduced by half. The remaining six girls and nineteen boys were now able to jog eight laps without pause. They could also handle a staff competently, with the promise of archery lessons should they make it through to the new year.

Thanks to their dropping numbers, the students were granted one blessing: Sergeant Rees was released back to his regular duties. The three students who'd survived his regime rejoiced. Though the same could not have been said when Sergeant Honra was also dismissed.

For the most part, Mhysra kept her head down and worked on her staff skills, often paired against Dhori. She was one of the best girls and in the top half overall. Derrain also did well, a natural athlete and of a similar disposition to Lieutenant Stirla, who treated him more like a brother than a student. Harlan quit with the first downpour, but he met up with them on most Stardays to complain about his boring clerk apprenticeship. Ulla vanished amidst the snow and was last seen by Harlan boarding a south-bound trade ship.

Mouse and Corin remained, though Corin preferred their afternoons, being a bright girl and not really built for the rigours of Rider training. But she was determined to succeed. The longer Mouse trained the less nervous he became, though he still talked too much and was never still.

It was monotonous work, both in the mornings and the afternoons, but Mhysra knew she was making progress when she no longer fell asleep, no matter how dull the lesson. The work became easier too, even if the subject matter was supposed to be harder. As the new year washed out winter and ushered in spring, she and her friends felt confident that they would last.

"Four months and we'll be Riders," Derrain remarked one Starday, as the friends lazed at their favourite picnic spot in the pastures above Nimbys. It was one of the few places they could go and not be disturbed by Riders wanting tasks done or city brats picking fights.

"You've got the exams yet," Harlan warned as the students clinked their beakers. "Winter isn't the worst of it."

"Exams, pah!" Corin scoffed. "I've heard you can sleep through them and still pass."

"And yet a handful of people fail each year," Harlan said, smiling slyly at his cousin.

"Why are you looking at me?" Mouse queried nervously. "Do you think I'll fail? I'm not going to fail, am I? Gods, what'll I do? I can't fail!"

"Stop it." Corin whacked Harlan on the arm, while Derrain pulled Mouse into a rough hug.

"Take no notice," Dhori advised. "You'll be fine."